Phono Stage_Skoll-by Schiit Audio

Following assessment of newly released Phono Stage by Schiit Audio.

I installed it today.  It is replacing a Conrad-Johnson EF-1 phono stage I have owned since 2003.  I have a tendency to hang on to quality components....

The first thing I noticed with the Skoll P.S. is zero noise floor with no music playing and the pre-amp and amp running open in the background!  My C-J unit added a noticeable low frequency hum to my speakers. (not noticeable when music was playing.)  

The second thing I noticed was how clean the music sounded.  This was immediately noticeable.  Instruments stand out like never before.

This Schiit phono stage is the real deal!  I'm impressed and very happy I made this purchase!  Your folks did a really nice job on the design and build of this unit, and it shows!   This is the best $400 dollars I've spent on audio equipment!  I believe it is worth more.  Great value! 

I could not leave any comments or an appraisal of this unit on your web site, but feel free to post this as you can!

Warmest Regards,

Lou Oniga

quincy

In my humble opinion I would keep the hook up all the same type.  If not, you have to purchase very special and expensive interconnects that have the two different types of hookups.  Stay with RCA to RCA.  Lou

I did pull the trigger on the Schitt Skoll, and the Thorens TD 1601. Very happy. I’m running it fully balanced XLR from the turntable to the integrated. The noise floor is zero. I’ve never heard a single hum, which plagued my old rig.

My only complaint is a small one. It does run a bit on the warm side, even when not in use. So I like to turn it off when I’m not using it. The power switch is a tiny little toggle on the back, which is really awkward to reach into the rack to turn off. They’ve gone to so much trouble to give a remote control, saying “you don’t have to get off the couch”, couldn’t they have made this most basic function a little simpler? 

And, BTW, if you are going to buy a Thorens sprung table, you’re going to need a wall shelf.  Unless you, and your dog, commit to only sitting down, while records are spinning.

Gem, congratulations!  

Enjoy the music!

Mine runs a tad warm also.

I've learned to ignore it...