Philips 1000 vs 963 for 2 channel. Which one ?

i am in between a phillips 963 and the philips 1000.

from what i have gathtered the 1000 is a better built machine despite a noisy drawer.

how do the two compare on redbook ? the unit would be only for 2 channel playback.

i have heard the 963 and it is a great sounding unit but the construction leaves little to be desired.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks !!

mike
mikesinger

Showing 2 responses by socrates

I thought the 963 to be a lightly polished turd sonically. No bass, lacks prat, upsampling was gimmicky and synthetic sounding, build quality not something I could live with. Great for the $360? Sure, nothing to brag about in the grand scheme of things, however. The SACD1000 isn't a gem either, redbook can be summed up in one word: Blah. Very uninvolving, boring, even in my system although SACD was much, much better. I would give both machines a C+ rating. SACD/CD machines from Marantz I feel walk all over the Philips and Sony offerings on all fronts. It stumps me that people get excited about products from sony and philips when a company like Marantz is making machines that are of consistent higher quality yet never get any press for whatever reason.

If you have to have a DVD/SACD/CD player with a focus on 2ch music, go for a Sony 9000ES with an external dac, it makes a much better transport then the 999es, and from the horses mouth, is a better transport then the PS Audio Lambda dedicated transports. Just my experience, others experiences clearly vary....
Ears, that has to be some of the most pathetic, illogical, irrational, ego-driven drivel I've ever seen, and one sees a lot of it on audio BBS....This is why I try to avoid reading Audio BB's, nothing but crap like this gets posted; noone can have a descenting opinion, every review has to be gushing, especially when a flavor of the month or declared "bang for buck" (hate that term) product is involved, any honest and accurate critique gets poo'd on by fanatic, mindless-drone, my dog is bigger then your dog, owners. Hey, whatever. You're right, I'm wrong, you're ears are golden, mine are tin, you're new toy syndrome holds within divine judgement, you're ego trumps my ego. Peace.