Parasound HCA-1500 or alternative

Howdy!  I got into audio stuff several years ago, bought the things I wanted, and then left the scene for a bit.  Now I want to set up a new system, but I'm not sure what's what anymore, and I'd like some input from folks.  Specifically, I'd like to get an amplifier that sounds like the Parasound HCA-1500.  I had one for a while, and I really liked it.  Not a miracle worker, but a great, smooth sound (I'm pretty sure MOSFETs are the key here).  Not as grainy as the various Adcoms I'd used previously.  Also, it had a good bit of grunt, and powered my 200w speakers very well.  It cost me a little less than $400, used.

I'd like to get another amp, around $400, that sounds like that Parasound.  If I can find another HCA-1500, great; although they seem pretty scarce, and I wonder if they're getting a little long in the tooth.  Would anyone have a recommendation for a great-sounding, high-powered amp (probably with MOSFET transistors) that costs about $400 used?  I've heard some Rotels that sounded similar; I've also been impressed by NAD, although I wouldn't know where to start in terms of model names/numbers.  Also, should I be looking at new amps, too? Are we at the point where a new $400 amp sounds as good as a 20-year-old amp that cost $1000 new?  Thanks very much for any feedback!
bthogan

Showing 1 response by kdude66

Bthogan,

The parasound hca 1500 uses a three stage gain topology,
which is common to many of parasound amps.

Cascoded Class A input stages with matched J-FET pairs
Handpicked complementary MOSFET transistors in high voltage driver stage
8 complementary pairs of 15 ampere 50 MHz output transistors

The output transistors are most definitely bi-polar and not mosfets for this amps high current output capability.

Best of luck to you,

Kenny.