Paradigm Studio 100 v1 Tweeter Swap Success

I recently got the deal of the century on a set of Paradigm v1 Studio 100s. I purchased them from an insurance company as they were involved in a lightning claim. They came in a set with other speakers and equipment which I sold, keeping only the Studio 100s as they were the only ones damaged. They wound up needing repairs to their crossovers (there were bad capacitors as well as coils) but even after the cost of the repair I actually made $34!

I have been quite happy with their performance but just wasn't getting along with how bright they were. After doing some research I found some information stating that Paradigm had Vifa make the tweeters on the early versions of the studio series. I've had previous experience with the Vifa/Scanspeak/Peerless lines and the lure of doing a tweeter swap eventually got strong enough that I went through with it.

Enter the replacements....

I used a Scanspeak D2905/9500 1" textile dome tweeters. I removed the Paradigm's tweeter driver from the square flange it was bolted to and did the same with the Scanspeak drivers, removing them from their round flanges which were too large in diameter to fit in the opening on the Paradigms cabinet. Using a titanium bit set I made new mounting holes in the Paradigm's square flange and the Scanspeak drivers bolted right in.

The sound...

I really couldn't be happier with how these speakers are sounding. They are so much smoother, the previous harshness is now gone. Last night I listened to two albums back to back at a healthy volume with no fatigue, an even that previously wouldn't of happened. Replacement of the tweeter has really changed the Paradigm's for the better.

My one qualm is the fit and finish of my "craftsmanship". Although it looks "OK" and is fully functional regarding the sound, you can see the unused holes from the prior drivers and the paint nicks from the drilling. There's hope though, I have a friend with access to a CNC machine and have sourced some aluminum plating. Making a new flange specifically for the D2905 in the Paradigm's opening should be relatively simple and look nice, I'll just have to pay to have it done.
capital_

Showing 1 response by zandor

I got my S.S. tweets. Enlarged the cabinet hole to accommodate the plastic wire cover. Then instead of using the original square metal plate (which doesn't fit screw pattern), I just mounted the tweeter directly to the cabinet using its own circular mounting plate. Looks better and functions perfectly. Filled and painted the old screw holes. Voila!