Oppo DV980H Audio Quality

Wondering if any local audiophiles have had a chance to review the Oppo DV980H from strictly an audio perspective (plenty of video reviews available)? Supposed to be improved audio over the other Oppos. Interested in CD redbook, SACD, DVD-A & HDCD playback quality. As a reference, I have a Sony DVP 9000ES now.

Also, any feedback on Oppo mods will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I know there are many others also interested in the Oppos.
slhijb

Showing 3 responses by mdconnelly

Happybob... so are you saying that you can play SACD or DVD-Audio using the Oppo as solely a transport into an external DAC? Did I read that right?

If so, I'm curious about how the SACD 2 channel DSD to LPCM converted digital out stacks up... Have you compared it to redbook output of the same recording? (just using the Oppo as a transport in both cases)?
Happybob,

What I'm wondering is how can you be sure that what you're getting thru the digital out is not just the redbook layer and not a conversion of the higher res SACD or DVD-A... It would be easy to check with an SACD only disk (I think most of the Sonys are like that).
Happybob, thanks for the update... I thought what you were suggesting sounded too good to be true. I have sent off an email to a moder of the Oppo to get their take on this. I'll post whatever I hear.