Opinions on the Bose 901

A friend of mine just gave me an old pair of Bose 901 Series IV. All the foam surrounds have crumbled, but the cabinets and the EQ are in decent shape. A foam surround kit plus the dust caps is less than $90 USD at ( www.partsexpress.com ).

I am pretty much set with my Swans M1 near field system--it rocks, especially after adding a 3000W ONEAC 220V isolation transformer. I am looking at using the Bose as HT speakers or as a background music system--I like to have music all over while I cook...

I am seeking unbiased opinions as to how I could use these speakers in a 2 channel HT setup:

The Series IV has a third contact between the (+)and the (-)(is it a ground?) which was used with the Bose Receiver's "spatial control". It allowed changing how much energy was sent towards the inside or outside reflecting surfaces--it was like a fader control, but from inside to outside.

If I use them for HT, I could use a homemade preamp that would allow such control and the 901's could become a "virtual center channel" by shifting the energy balance towards the area between the speakers. I think this could offer a neat movie viewing effect in the absense of a Pro Logic, THX, DTS, 5.1, 7.1, 10.2 or a 15.3 decoder.

A false gypsum wall could be constructed for having my 27" Sony WEGA flush and provide a good reflective surface for the 901's.

I will appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks,

P/A
psychicanimal

Showing 2 responses by jvia

OK, 1st, doing the surrounds on these is a lot harder than it looks, in my opinion. I do a fair amount of surrounds, I say the larger ones are easier to do, far easier. I am currently doing a set of 901's for a guy that got "frustrated" and made a mess on the first few. If you decide to do this, write me and I will share with you my caveats.
The spatial control I have played with on the reciever, I am regretfully old enough to have used them new, and I am trying to restore a dead one at the moment. Diffuses the sound stage for lack of a better word,making it broader, and if there is anything a Bose does not need, its to have its sound stage broadened or diffused. Bose used to make a statement about how music would sound "larger than life". Thats all fine and good, but I never wanted it quite that large. I kinda think of the Bose as the 1st unintentional surround sound receiver. They are beautiful pieces though.
I think in a HT situation 901's could actually be pretty good, especially for the ambient noises of day to day living that also gets portrayed, their broad spread of sound could actually make a movie quite involving.
I think it might be fun to give it a try in the situation your describing
I don't know that I would be using them for the front channels, you of course will do what you want, but I think the would be far better as sides or rears to give you that illusion of being surrounded. I have difficulty with the idea of 901's being able to give you a strong center channel, its just not what they were designed to do. Good luck though.