Opinion on Buena Vista social club CD?

Is there more versions? Ferrer, Cooder? Or it is only one? Godd sounding? Thanks
tinfoil26929
I downloaded a copy from HDtracks and am disappointed in the sound quality. It seems rather flat and somewhat reminiscent of recordings made in the 1950s.

Everyone seems to like to rave about it and I just don’t get it. The music seems interesting but it would be more interesting If it sounded better.

sounds better on my Grado SR-80 phones but still not great.

Maybe it’s just another poorly mastered CD.

Magneplanar MG-IIIa speakers, Adcom GFP-555 preamp, Adcom GFA-535 amp, yamaha cd player, PS Audio D-Link III DAC.
timoteo666
I downloaded a copy from HDtracks and am disappointed in the sound quality. It seems rather flat ... Maybe it’s just another poorly mastered CD.
This is confusing. Are you referring to the download or to the CD?
@timoteo666:

It definitely does not have a typical studio recording sound. On my system it has a very live sound. I am streaming cd quality from a node 2i with an Emm Labs DAC. I can place all of the musicians and vocalists on the stage (left right and front back). I haven’t heard the HD Tracks version. Don’t know if there is a difference. There is also a good bit of room sound and natural reverb in the recording. So for me it is not as forward as a typical studio recording but it has a very appealing sound to me. My guess from the sound is that it was recorded live with everyone in the same room rather than isolated. But it could be some other thing or the way my system presents it. The music is incredible either way!!