Only two tracks to test your system, forever!

If you could only use two tracks/songs for the rest of your life whenever you wanted to test a change to your system, what would they be?

128x128gladmo

For me it would have to be classical music, although I listen to jazz and rock as well, as there is nothing, at least in my mind, as difficult to make sound natural as music in a concert hall.

1) Gershwin's An American in Paris which is side 2 on a specific vinyl recording (from the TAS best vinyl recordings list), an RCA Living Stereo recording with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops. Easy to find streaming as well as on cd. It is a virtual obstacle course for a system. The shrill woodwinds, full string section playing extremely high notes together and sound effects will really test a system. If you're hesitant about yours passing, my suggestion is don't try it. It is  a great recording and totally resolvable but not by every system.

2) My number 2 choice is any number of solo piano pieces because what I am looking for is it actually sounding like a grand piano being present in the listening room. Liszt Sonata in B minor is a good one.

If you pass these then human voice, jazz, and rock are a piece of cake in my mind. Your results may vary however.

I definitely get the two song angle because there’s always just one or two non-negotiable tracks you’re hot to run as test tracks. I’m probably dating myself when I choose Clapton’s Signe as something good to warm up the ears before I get serious with Old Love (’buh buh buh buh...old love...’) from Unplugged and Kurt Elling’s Downtown from Live In Chicago.

I don't want to be one of the predictable old guys walking around with Diana Krall discs, but her No Moon At All from Turn Up The Quiet is an extremely well recorded test track. Back in the ’90s and early 00s when you can hang in audio salons (when there were actually were audio stores to hang in) I remember hearing a lot of Rebecca Pidgeon’s Spanish Harlem and any track from Eva Cassidy Live At Blues Alley.​​​​

Song:Thanks to You 

Artist: Boz Scaggs  

Album: Dig

Checks all the boxes right away.....

Bass in spades....is my subwoofer set right????

So many choices with only two answers.......

Gregory Porter-Don't Be a Fool

Norman Brown-Missing You