Old Krell vs new Krell amps...

Hello,
I actually have to choose between differents Krell amps, for roughly the same price :
a pair of Krell Audio Standard (KAS)
a Krell Evo 302
and for half the price a pair of KAS-2 amps

How do they compare, in terms of sound ?
The KAS is a legend, but is it actually still a good choice ? Its fiability is good ? The KAS is really better than the KAS-2 ?
And, what about the new Evo amps ? Are they better than the KAS or the FPB amps ?
My speakers are easy to drive : Tannoy GRF, but I may swap to big TAD or JBL...
I can't compare those amps directly because they are sold in different(and very far from each others) shops.
Thanks a lot for all informations and advices.
Best Regards,
nico_g

Showing 1 response by upgrade1394

First of all, I have never heard the KAS amps. I have owned the KSA (150 and 200S) series, the FPB300c, then the FPB300cx and currently the EVO302. The 300c was good but the 300cx was far better, i.e., difference was very large between the "c" and the "cx" version. The older KSA (not to be confused with the KAS)were extremely grainy and not very reliable in my opinion. Finally, the EVO302 is significantly smoother (less listener fatigue) and has very, very impressive bass (perhaps since it is mated the the EVO222 preamp) making it sound much better than the cx version. Among the EVO, I recommend the 302 over the 402, since the 2-channels appear separated better in the layout of the 302 and this is reflected in the performance (maybe I am biased). Bottom line- if you can afford it, go get the EVO302 or economise and find a 300cx or the 400cx. Regards