old high end preamps..

Proceed AVP  Cary Cinema 11   Bryston SP1.7

I have had all but the Cary. which do you think would sound best for music in 2.1 ? I have the Bryston now. cant really find any flaw in it except I cant tell where volume is with lights down and screen is hard to read from 6ft away. Bryston sounds good.
I am actually getting a Cary Cinema 11 this week. I know if a recapped AVP . I like the looks of either of these over the Bryston.
gentlejax
Modern system devices like the miniDSP SHD may be positioned to disrupt the traditional pre-amplifier market.
The SHD combines a set of analog and digital inputs, with the Analog Devices SHARC implementing Dirac Live 2 projects directly into the excellent AK4490EQ DAC. An absolute minimum of cabling and excellent design results in ultra low noise and low distortion.
Not to mention, a properly implemented Dirac Live 2 project is like removing Coke bottle lenses from your eyes for the first time.

I have a 1989  P S Audio 5.5  pre-amp. They are pretty rare to find these days
 The sound is incredible. For the cost, back then I don`t think you could do better.
I had a Nad pre-amp that didn`t sound half as good as the PS Audio, and sold that.
I also had a 1989   4004 Aragon 200 watt power amp. Great amp but got SUPER hot. You couldn`t put your hand on top of it I  went threw 2 in 2 weeks. I finally got one that didn`t blow.  I just sold that for a Bryston. I actually liked the Aragon better, That model Aragon is hard to find. I might get a Classe power amp now. I would love a Krell, but the cost is out of my league.  
 I have Bowers & Wilkins speakers which I like, and a Oppo DVD player.

I have a separate home theater system 
@skiroe You can look at the images on their website.  Some products say "Made in USA" while others say "Assembled in USA" on the back panel.  The old Dennis Had products, which IMO put Cary on the map - are the ones made in the USA.  These include the SPL-98, the SLP-05, CAD-805, etc.

The newer products after Dennis sold out are not of the same caliber IMO.
@hk_fan  I didnt notice that and usually Im digging in for detail.   I was checking on the SPL-98 actually with phono  because its on sale. . Still a lot of scrilla and doubt I will do that.   The 6sn7 tube is the attraction.    I had a Modwright with 6sn7 tube and noticeably a good tube flavor  ..Being the that the 98 now available is current production could well be assembled here with parts from China.   
The 98 is a great preamp, and I imagine it's still the same design as it was.  I owned it for several years and would easily recommend it.  It's one of the old point to point hand wired designs and really is a fantastic preamp.