Ok All you Schiit Eitr's

just kidding,  anyway have you experienced that it needs a "break in" period to sound its best?  also any experiences with different digital coax cables?  thanks for any info.
radiomanjh
Hope the Eitr brings greater enjoyment from your music, radioman. I expect it’ll sound pretty good right out of the box. BTW - there is a lengthy and still active Eitr discussion thread over on HeadFi.org. As to whether USB vs Coax is more critical to the sound, my O-pinion at the start was that the coax cable would have more impact on the sound. Now I am not so sure, so I can’t really answer for you; will just relate my experience.

A number of participants over on HeadFi like the Pyst USB cable. Good performance to price. It is actually a Straight Wire product. Of course there are advocates for higher end stuff...mainly the AQ Carbon, Coffee & Diamond but also a contingent advocating WireWorld Platinum Starlight.

I had tried some entry level USB cables from Pangea (all silver...not silver plated) and AQ (the Pearl...all copper). I came across an Absolute Sound review that led me to try an Oyaide neo D+ Class A USB. The difference vs the Pangea AG and AQ Pearl was not subtle...much greater than the difference on the coax side between the D-750, XV2 or Silverstar. Am still very curious about Coffee and Platinum Starlight but for the money the Class A Oyaide is really really good. Would the difference in performance with the Oyaide have been as apparent with a coax other than the Silverstar?....I think so, but never really did that experiment.

I guess where you put your $ will depend on what coax you use now and cost to upgrade that vs an upgrade of the Pyst USB. Read the reviews, of course, and scour the used market (here, US Audio Mart, Used Cable.com, Audio Asylum Trader are the ones I visit most often). Good luck.

when I switched from USB to coax via the Eitr on my Hegel HD25 DAC it was probably the most satisfying upgrade I've done to my system.  And that was initially using a basic BJ coax.   A few months later I happened to have the chance to borrow an AQ Carbon coax.  I expected nothing much, but gave it a shot anyway.  It took only seconds to confirm that the AQ made a substantial difference for the good.  I sold my BJ coax and have never looked back.
Yes, but why use one?  I’m quite serious. Can you give an example? Thanks