NOS KT 88s or GE 6550s

I am currently running a quad of Gold Lion KT 88s in my Conrad Johnson LPS 70 power amp. At considerable expense I can switch to NOS KT 88s or GE 6550s. Would this be a sideways move or a real improvement over the current production Gold Lions ? Would appreciate the advice/comments of CJ or ARC power amp owners who have made the switch. Unfortunately a demo in my system is not possible.
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers
Pradeep
128x128sunnyboy1956

Showing 3 responses by sunnyboy1956

Zd542
Many thanks for your response. The CJ came 6 years ago with the stock Winged C 6550s. These were replaced with the KT88s based on advice from fellow Agoners and others. I have am happy with the sonics but have always been curious about the improvement that NOS tubes can provide vis a vis current production tubes. You are right that this is highly subjective and any opinion is valid only in the context of a system/room/musical preferences and priorities.
Would still love to share the experience of Agoners who have switched to NOS for their CJ or ARC power amps.
Pradeep
Hifigeek1
I did send a mail to CJ in early July regd the KT-120s. No response. I should have followed up. In any case I got a quad of GL KT 88s as a replacement for the Winged C 6550s.
Daveyf
I think you just convinced me! I am trying to work out some sort of refund deal with the Singapore dealer for the NOS GE 6550s, in case things dont work out.Are there major differences between the GE and Jan 6550A , both NOS ?
Many thanks
Pradeep
Daveyf
The Singapore dealer (Well Audio Lab) tells me there is no difference between the GE and Jan 6550s.
Njoy
Pradeep