Next Turntable

I've been reading, digging through archives, studying anecdotal comments, and the like, here and on the Vinyl Asylum, to figure out my next TT move. I am strictly a vinyl-only guy, and for those of you who remember my other posts, recently came back to audio after a decade long hiatus. I have been revamping my system, the only remaining piece from the early 90's being a Well-Tweaked, Well Tempered TT.
I want to take a step up in the TT world. Here are my parameters:

1. No twenty thousand plus investment. I could see 10k for a table, sans arm and cartridge, but that's about where I'm going to draw the line; obviously, if I don't have to spend this, I won't.
2. Not too tweaky. Don't want to worry about air pressure in suspensions or arms, constant adjustment, or endless fine tuning. While I'm not against the occasional adjustment, I want to listen to music, not pay homage to the equipment.
3. No overt colorations, but the TT does not have to be the
last word in technology, exotic materials, or dramatic looks. It just has to play music, and combined with an appropriate arm, give me deep bass, 'jump' or thwack, open
airy and non-bloated mids and extended highs. If I have to trade off anything, I suppose that would be the highest octave extension in favor of musicality and palpability of the rest.
4. Some of the contenders- Kuzma Stabi Reference; VPI TNT 6
(perhaps Hotrod, but the changes in the platter and bearing, given some of the negatives I've read about the HRX, make me hesitate); Brinkman- overbudget, unless slightly used; Simon
Yorke, ditto. Others might be a Basis, Sota, or Well-Tempered Reference. All are fine tables, but I think I would like to get as close to
state of the art in this step; on the other hand, I'm not
looking for this month's 'hot product' since I tend to hang on to equipment. Turntable comparisons are pretty close to impossible, I dunno, maybe a dealer would be willing to set one up in my home, but I don't see that happening even at this price point, and even if it did, having one table for a short period of time is not going to be too telling.
As to arms, I like the Graham. The Kuzma air arm looks neat, but it violates my set it and forget it rule. If I went with the Brinkman, I'd probably do their arm.
That's it for now. TIA.
128x128whart

Showing 1 response by sirspeedy70680e509

I have to tell you that the LATEST SOTA COSMOS is an "out of the park homer",in almost any area of real concern.There are now even a couple of recent mods,beyond the series III,that take this table about as close to the state of the art,as anyone is likely to really need.The last few years,for SOTA,has given way to sensational design integrity,as well as fit and finish,IMO!As to the clamp issue,the vacuum system is still superior to any other method of clamping available.It does NOT harm records,as I have owned a vacuum system for over twenty yrs,without so much as an extra tick,or pop!Priced very fairly,and darn nice looking too!What's not to like?

That being said,there is a wealth of alternative choices.Based on your comments,I will tell you that my dear friend,who previously owned a TNT-5 w/Air Tangent arm,jst got the NEW TNT with both the all Plexi platter,and the new multi laminate(I think aluminum,and plexi),to compare.His arm of choice(he got tired of the maintenance of the Air Tangent) was the VPI 12.6 arm.Sporting the latest Titan cartridge.

He is a very experienced record collector/music lover/hobbyist(in that order),and is doing cartwheels over the current performance he now has.He has not gotten to compare the two platters yet,as he wants to iron out all variables before doing so.Truthfully,I have always loved his older set-up,and will hear the newest in two to three weeks.Yet,I have always trusted his choices,so the newest VPI TNT must be superb!

I have recently read about what,also,seems to be a new,yet very special table design.This from Grand Prix Audio.Looks to be a very well developed design,and though S.O.T.A. is quite compact.Meaning not alot of money to be spent on support platforms(which can suck up a budget).

As for arms,I can't tell you anything new,and don't want to risk seeming to be a cheerleader for the usual suspects,though I do have my own preferences.All commonly discussed arms,on these threads, are superb.The best choices will be made in proper mating to your cartridge of choice.Rely on a "considerate" dealer,and you will have an easier time.

Best of luck!Now go find some good LP's,and expect to be staying up a bit later than usual!!