New Yggdrasil - First (and second) Impressions

Okay, so I’ve finally (on order over 2 months) received my Schiit Yggdrasil. The unit arrived in exactly perfect condition (i.e. well packaged).

Upon first (and second) listening through all sources/inputs, I would need a stethoscope to discern any difference among my current components and connectivity. I also cannot detect any difference using the phase inversion button.

I suppose the aforementioned is a testament to how good my current system (before/without Yggy) already sounds. :)

I can easily A-B test because the Yggy is hooked in via balanced and my other components are also hooked directly to amp via RCA or USB.

Also, obviously I have NOT let the unit "burn in" for days because I just got it, however, it has come to full operational temperature after being powered on continuously over 24 hours.

System configuration: (Yggdrasil > XLR > Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amplifier > Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers )
all cables blue jeans cables "best" offering

Emotiva ERC-3 CD player > AES/EBU > Yggdrasil
Oppo UDP-205 blue ray player > coax > Yggdrasil
Samsung SMT-C5320 cable box > optical > Yggdrasil
Gateway NV79 Windows 10 64-bit computer > USB > Yggdrasil

I’ll be patient, but if there are any suggestions to "try" in order to hear *some* audible difference, that would be great. Appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks.
128x128gdhal
@randyhat  - understood and your advice is sound (no pun intended)

but wait!....

@stfoth -

Using the source I found of Rebecca Pidgeon Spanish Harlem (thank you for that recommendation, and which windows reports a bit rate of 2967kbps and the Yggy LEDs indicate 48 and x2, so that is hi-rez), I have listened to random sequences of about 15 seconds or so, and low and behold, I may (I'd like to try this blind, unable to do so at the moment) have "found the difference"! Mind you, all I need/want is some iota of evidence that there is an "improvement". But what I've discovered may be more than an iota, and instead just my own increased understanding as to what to listen for. 

Within the track, from time segment 1:55 remaining to 1:45 remaining (albeit 10 seconds), there is bass, violin, and a maracas. Through the Yggy, the bass is definitely more pronounced, more "authentic" sounding, and it vibrates or "lingers on" just a hair longer than when played via the Oppo. The violin too appears a tad bit more authentic; and that is fine, if in fact it is a more accurate reproduction. I'm still "testing", but I *think* I'm beginning to hear a quality difference.

Again, I appreciate the test track recommendation.

It was also suggested by a friend of mine to specifically listen for "cymbal decay". I am able to download samples here https://freesound.org/, and will listen to that too.
Post removed 
By the way everyone, I received a reply on the head-fi forum, *supposedly* from Mike Moffat himself (I have asked for confirmation of that) regarding my question about the phase inversion button. His response:

"....I can state that the absolute phase is a holdover from the Theta DACs I designed some 40 years ago. In that era, the greater majority of systems were two channel. The effect in time domain accurate speakers with better mastered material is difference in image size. In the wrong position, the image collapses between the speakers. The difference is that in one absolute phase, the music "blows" relatively speaking - in the other it "sucks"."

@georgehifi  - yes, I realize you too mentioned (paraphrasing) this in your 10-18-2017 7:24pm post.
@stfoth

I remain appreciative of your recommendations regarding music. So you should know, I am not completely blind in this regard. I have at my disposal the following, in optical format, and I tend to use the following. 

1) Sportin Life (all tracks) by Weather Report. This disk was used in the 80's by Leonard Radio (Manhattan NY) to demo all their equipment at the time. They sold rather high-end and pricey items. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportin%27_Life_(Weather_Report_album)

2) Denon Audio Technical CD. It has a number of tracks with sample music that covers the entire gamut of frequency range, dynamic range, imaging subtleties, etc. http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1526639/a/denon+audio+technical+cd.htm

3) Sony Music Super Audio CD Sampler http://www.amazon.com/Music-Super-Audio-Sampler-Players/dp/B003UQ4CXC

@whitestix

Thank you. I appreciate the good advice *not* to overthink this. As you point out, the Schiit audition window is only 15 days (compared to Benchmark which I was told is 30) and *supposedly* the unit needs longer than that to break in. So, it is a dilemma of sorts. I’m honestly trying to give the product every bit of whatever doubt I might have. Fortunately, I wasn’t expecting a "night-and-day" difference relative to the sound I had/have without the Yggy. If there were, something would be amiss. I would be content and pleased with marginal, subtle improvement. However, I want and need my own ears to provide evidence of said improvement. Like the Rolling Stones would say, "I’m just sittin’ on a fence. You can say I got no sense" :)