New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor

Showing 4 responses by pani

Atmasphere, how do you compare your own Empire based direct drive turntable offering against the Technics 1200 GAE ?
So, is there any update on the Technics 1200 GAE vs the SP10 mk2 ?
I am considering one of these TTs. Either I will get the 1200 G/GAE with the Time-Step mods (linear PSU) or the SP10 mk2 refurbished by Krebs or Albert Porter. Do we have a clarity on which one is the better TT ?
Ralph, have you compared the G and GAE ? Is there a clearly audible superiority in the GAE ?

Secondly when you say that the tonearm is on the 1200 is superb, do you mean the one on the GAE or also the G (which has a inferior one) ?
The SMPS has to be thrown out, no doubt about that. A linear power supply mod from http://www.time-step.com/ is the way to go.

I am also on the fence to get a direct drive TT. I was considering the SP10 mk2 and Yamaha GT-2000. SP10 was favourable simple because of its availability and serviceability. But then came the 1200G claiming to be equal or better than sp10 mk2. However I do not see any solid claims as yet to suggest that it is indeed better than the sp10. In the absence of such solid A-B testing I am thinking to stick to my original plans of getting the SP10 mk2. I have heard it and like it a lot. It can be upgraded with the krebs modifications which supposedly takes it closer to the sp10 mk3. Why not then ?