New Technics 1200

Now that the new  hyperexpeniveTechnics 1200 G   will be coming  out in several months,($4000?], I'm wondering what Audiogoners think would be the  next best thing [other than buying a used 1200 MkII] as far as the closest equivalency in quality and performance in currently production turntables? Examples are the Pioneer PL1000X, the Stanton :150, and the Audiotechnica 1240, among others?
boofer

Showing 1 response by mhztweaker

I don't know.... $4k sounds a little steep to me but I guess it's all a matter of what the market will bear. I think a good price would be $3k maybe. I mean the last model was like $2500 before they were discontinued.

In fact I am using a 1210M5G with a Herbie way excellent II mat, Ortofon 2M Black, and a highly modified Tubes4HiFi PH-16 tube phono preamp with very satisfying results. I have the whole thing resting on a DIY Gingko cloud platform. With only $700 (used) in the turntable, $500 for the cartridge, $100 Herbie Mat I just cannot see  $4,000. If anything I would purchase an SME 309 arm and maybe a TimeStep HE III external power supply.