New Speakers for $2000

Hello, new to the forums and wanted to ask your guys' advice for my next step up. My system right now is Lossless Files -> Benchmark DAC1 USB -> Cambridge Audio 650A -> Jamo 707 (Speakers from the early 90s I think).

I have about $2000 maybe up to $2200 MAX to spend on speakers. My sound preferences as you can tell from my set up is fairly neutral.

I went to the local hi-fi shop recent and listened to MartinLogan Electromotion. I found that they both lack bass extension which wouldn't really be a problem but also that they have a really lax midrange (too lazy for metal).

My wants in order of preference are:
-Resolution
-Neurality
-Imaging
-Sound stage width
-Good highs
-Not so slow mids that it'd make listening to heavier music unenjoyable
-A decent amount of bass or even slightly weak on punch is fine

Any recommendations are welcome and thanks in advance.
ninjasquirt

Showing 1 response by rufipennis

"Vandersteel Model 2s - They sound very nice but the Stereophile review seem to jump straight through the fact that their sound stage isn't top-notch"

Huh? Which review is that? To my ears, the 2Ce Sig IIs can throw as good a soundstage as any speaker I've heard (a list that includes models from Avalon, TAD, Wilson, Revel, Aerial, Thiel, B&W, Paradigm, MBL). In fact, they're *better* than most of those. The Vandies also can disappear into a room as good as any speaker I've heard (even when all of the signal is in one channel). Overall, I don't think you can do better at the price point. They are very musical and are above average at most any sonic parameter. In fact it's easier to talk about their (few) shortcomings. Compared to the *very* best I've heard (Avalon Ascent II, TAD Ref 1, and Vandersteen 7), the 2Ce Sig IIs are: 1) not quite as highly resolved; 2) lack a bit of extension at both frequency extremes (more obvious in the bass); and 3) have a somewhat veiled midrange. This last point I was able to mitigate with a cable upgrade (also, Vandersteen has recently upgraded the midrange driver; I've not heard it but presume that it sounds better than my iteration). For $2K, Vandersteen gives you a big, fat helping of what's possible in high-end audio. Best wishes in your quest!