New McIntosh MA252

Wondering if anyone has listened to the new MA252. I have an MA6500 pushing 200 watts into my SF Olympica llls which I think sound great. Question - would the tube preamp on the new MA252 add noticeable warmth, richness, sound stage presence? Thanks. 

128x128teboerio

Showing 7 responses by route-66

Can you tell us how long you had to wait for it?

I'm asking because I gave my dealer a deposit for one on Wednesday and he placed my order that day.
Congrats on finding one on the used market already!

I thought it would have been years before we saw any preowned MA252s for sale.
I have been using a Counterpoint SA 3.1 preamp/Adcom GFA-555 power amp combination in my system since the late 80's (!!) and was long overdo for an upgrade. I recently purchased an MA252 and for me, the improvement is a revelation. I can finally understand what reviewers mean when they describe things such as hearing "space around the instruments" and there being a "black background."  This integrated amp is so much more musical than what I've been listening to (or suffering with) for all these years. 
Congrats on taking the plunge! I've been living with my MA252 for almost a year now and I couldn't be happier with it.
I remember reading in the MA252 manual about giving the speaker terminal nut an extra quarter turn after snugging it up but I didn't want to force it, so I left it like that. If I were in your shoes and it bothered me that much, I'd contact McIntosh to see if they've dealt with this before. The only issue I would wonder about is if the terminal needs to be tightly bonded to the chassis for grounding purposes.
I was going to suggest that you pop the top off yourself but I didn't know if you'd be comfortable doing that. I'm glad that you were able to take care of it yourself and won't be losing sleep over it tonight. :-D
Welcome to the forum!

I have no experience with Arcam products but my MA252 works great with my Harbeth C7ES3s. 

No regrets here.