'New' Gallo Reference vs. 'old' B&W Matrix 802

Hi Everybody,

I happened to audition a pair of old B&W Matrix 802 Series 3 and I was truly impressed. I always wanted to have Gallo speakers and I read a lot of good things about the Gallo Reference III. Unfortunately the local dealer does not have on here to demo. The price of the new Gallo and this old B&W are about the same (2500$). So, I ask you guys if somebody out there can help me in my decision.

Thanks in advance
jig43

Showing 2 responses by rickmak

I use to own a pair of B&W 802s. I have owned them for many years but I wasn't able to get them to sound good regardless of what gears I use with them. I have gone from Classes, to Manleys, to Macs. The 802s are very hard to drive and do not have enough low ends. The aluminum tweeter of the 802 also make them extremely bright sounding.

I have even tried putting damping materials on the walls and ceilings. No matter that I tried, the 802s are very bright sounding, and they have a standout midrange which really shouts at you. And unless if you get the 802s with the arcici stand, the bass response will be pretty bad.

Try playing violins on the 802, and the horsehair on the bow will sound like metal rather than horsehair.

Yes yes, my audiophile friends have called me an audio nervousa, having a bad case of tinni Itous, the audio version of abhorance of all things bright. While this may be true, but I have no issues with brightness with the Gallos.

Get the Gallos..... while the Gallos may not be the speaker of choice for me personally, it is still a very good speaker and will outperform the 802s EASILY.

BTW, I just sold my old MINT condition 802s on audiogon for $ 1500 USD. So $ 2500 is a little steep in my opinion. I sold them with my Arcici stand too, they're worth $ 200 bucks.