'New' Gallo Reference vs. 'old' B&W Matrix 802

Hi Everybody,

I happened to audition a pair of old B&W Matrix 802 Series 3 and I was truly impressed. I always wanted to have Gallo speakers and I read a lot of good things about the Gallo Reference III. Unfortunately the local dealer does not have on here to demo. The price of the new Gallo and this old B&W are about the same (2500$). So, I ask you guys if somebody out there can help me in my decision.

Thanks in advance
jig43

Showing 1 response by chazzbo

Not sure if you acted on the choice yet but hope it was with gallo's even though I have yet to hear abything other than the terrible little spheres to compete with Bose.But in past I had a pair of Gallo Ref II's in the box frames and they were great.I aslo owned the 802 Matrix III's with Sound Anchors and while adequate I can't disagree with Transnova in any more possible terms.I worked at a shop where we has Matrix II's for about a year and a half and when I saw the upcoming price increases for same model numbers I thought they were nuts.But the old numbers were outdated and remmbeer the old 801 in all it's forms was the best selling audiophile loudspeaker of all time (followed second my Maggies).But the new Nautilus blew away the old models in every parameter.Especially the high end and acccuracy of the mids plus the depth of soundstage etc etc etc.For $3500 they are a a great bargain.Now if somebody has $8K to spend on new speakers the new 803D with it's diamond tweeter and extra 7" woofer would be a great choice to listen to./They are fantastic and go as low as the old 802N (the 802D is $20K!!!!!!!! up from $8K).Now i am bargin hunter and have a love/hate affir with a a number of spekers beacuse of there strengths and weaknesses (How many vetrans bought and sold ESL63's two or three times-,maybe each time they thought "This time I will get the sub to integrate and the short soudnstage won't bother me!).Maggies of all types have that can't be beat mid range with bass extension and dynamic problems)>But with an $8K budget you have used Revcels ,used new Qaud 988 for $3500,and for $5K or less Infinity Preludes.Still if you have a chance to hear the new Diamond series of B&W listen to them.I lkeft th business durring the Nautilus era and was blown away when I went to look up my old compadres and heard the 803D's.Yeah there expensive and don;'t exist on the used market yet but for full whack of $8K if you can afford it you'll forget the higher value of uised speakers and pull ou the plastic.But at tha sam,e price and much less there are fine speakers like Audio Physics,Revels a myriad of them and now from all I have heard the new Gallos give eveything the old Ref's CDT tweeter magic did and much more a la the Preludes with the dual voice coil bass units.I might give 'em a twirl myself since now if I trade my German Odeon semi horns up for 803N's I'll wish I had saved for the extra $3K Diamonds.But for cripes sake that's the whole price of the Gallos!!!It's gotten such rave reviews I have to stop spinning jazz Lp's in my spare time long enough to see if it';s worth the hype.And this mentiuons nothing about the new new $6K NHT sub sats which use hughly sophistictaed DEQX room correcion and made such a stink at one of the major shows last year that everyone said confidently that "DEQX blows away every of the current room correction hard/sfotwareand iut along with ICE digitalamps will DEFINITELY take over Hifi in th near furture".Man this post was all over the place.I gotta cut down on late night coffee
Chazzbo