New Bluesound's Node 2i

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_813NODE2IB/Bluesound-Node-2i-Black.html?tp=63339&awkw=586297302367...

Here's why the Node 2 was on sale and so many are available on the used market.

128x128lowrider57
Older models now on big discount straight from the Bluesound site direct. Claim on the 2i is that they garnered increased performance from working on some pricier NAD offerings like the new C-658.
I just installed a node 2i in my system. The sound is much more holographic than my previous source (laptop > eitr > metrum amethyst). I’m happy overall with the sound quality, however I made a direct comparison between the internal DAC and my amethyst and the metrum beat out the bluesound - although I’m not that surprised. I think it really depends where you are coming from for your previous source.

One thing to note: the node 2i sounds massively better when wired in my system as opposed to using the wifi. And again the wifi sounded better than airplay or bluetooth. I think the big compromise with streamers like the bluesound is that you have to use their app/streaming software. I don’t mind the interface, just something else to deal with. Also, there was a severe burn in within the first 3 hours, it was actually terrible out of the box and slowly opened up as I sat there.

I also just ordered an aftermarket shunyata power cable for the node 2i so I can report back on that after I listen to it.
I’ve been using a Node 2 as a Roon endpoint in a minimalist second system. The Node 2 benefits from a better power cord. I built a silver PC with Furutech and Oyaide ends. Also, it can definitely sound better through an external DAC. I took from storage an old Marigo Apparition RCA digital cable and a Theta Gen Va DAC with balanced outputs. These feed a pair of Pass ACA 1.6 Class A kit monoblocks. The Node 2 downsampled by Roon from 24/192 to 16/44.1 for the old Theta sounds better that the Node 2’s integrated DAC at 24/192. Nice to know that the Theta still stands up! But the Node 2’s integrated DAC isn’t bad.
Node 2i's bread and butter is the operating system and the multi-room function. There are other options out there that sound better. The internal DAC is average at best. The Rotel 1572's DAC sounded better than the Node 2i with MQA even. It's a good starter kit that is for sure. I have since moved onto a separate streamer (metrum ambre) and DAC (Metrum Onyx).. you always think it sounds great until you hear better and thats what makes this hobby so fun...and expensive! cheers on your journey