New Bel Canto REF600M using NCORE

Wow!!..Looks like John hit another home run at Bel Canto with the just released REF 600M using NCORE amplifiers. 300 watts into 8ohms. $4500.00 a pair. The REF 1000M is out of production. I have a feeling this is Bel Canto's best amp ever below the Bel Canto Black. Look forward to Guido checking it out.
audiozen

Showing 4 responses by blang11

Thanks for posting the link to the Soundstage HiFi review of the Ref 600m. I find the reviewer Roger Kanno's following statement a bit curious:

"And as good as the REF600M was, it couldn’t equal the sound quality of the more expensive and more powerful Anthem Statement M1."  

I know that is quote mining and Mr. Kanno DID enjoy the 600m, but I find it curious because Kalman Rubinson of Stereophile reviewed the Anthem and ultimately concluded, "... in its present state I cannot recommend the M1. It imposed a tonal signature on the sound that was simply not neutral. Many successful audio products fail to meet this criterion, and some are perhaps designed to do so, but I don't believe that this was Anthem's goal." http://www.stereophile.com/content/anthem-statement-m1-monoblock-power-amplifier-page-2#S6oZGsORYp7A...

I actually think that might be one of the harshest conclusions I've ever read in Stereophile. Take all of this with a grain of salt and throw in a dollop of "whatever floats your boat". I just find it interesting. For me, Stereophile is my most trusted resource outside of simply listening myself. I'm still riding the Ref 600m hype train and looking forward to auditioning soon. 
Kalman Rubinson reviewed the Bel Canto Ref 600m in the October 2016 issue of Stereophile! I got my copy in the mail on Friday. Another positive review and a place in the Class A list of Reccomended components. 

Steven Stone reviews the Ref 600m in the January issue of the Absolute Sound. In his conclusion, he states, “To my ears, it is good enough to qualify as the best all-around power amplifier I’ve heard to date, regardless of technology or circuit topology.” Chalk up another win for Bel Canto!

While Mr. Stone does not dwell on it, he does note, “ With the Ref600M powered up I could hear only the faintest hiss if I put my ears within a few inches of the Spatial’s coaxial driver [his review speaker]”. He later compares his recently refurbished Pass Labs X150.3. “After its return from the factory, the Pass was almost as quiet in terms of noise (without a signal) as the Ref600M, with only a slightly higher hiss level and zero hum.”

I find this very interesting. How common is this hiss/hum issue? Is it caused by class D topology? Seems not, given the reviewer experiences this even with his class A/B Pass amp. And is this issue caused by every product of a certain design or does it depend on what other components are in your system? All three of the class A/B amps I’ve previously owned were completely silent when powered on but playing no music. Putting my ear to the speakers revealed zero sound. Then I got my current Audio Research DSi200 integrated amp (class D) and it does produce a faint hiss from the tweeters and low level hum from the woofers of my Revel F208s. Close up, it is easily heard, but it’s faint enough that it can’t be heard from any further than a couple feet away, even in a silent room.

I don’t feel this hiss/hum thing is a deal breaker. My current system plays music very well. But ideally, I would never experience hiss at all.

@mapman

Funny you mention both the Ref600m and C5i because I’ve recently had both of them in house for a comparison. Using my PS Audio Directstream Junior and the SPDF Line In on the C5i, I notice very little tweeter hiss at low volume and high tweeter hiss as the volume on the C5i is raised. When I swapped out the C5i for the ref600m, the hiss was even greater, perhaps the loudest hiss I’ve heard from my Revel F208 speakers. This was all with the DSJ set to its higher gain setting. Switching it to the low gain setting dramatically reduced the hiss level. Still detectable but barely. I’m quite happy with this arrangement. I’m now the proud owner of the DSJ/Ref600m pairing.