New Amplifier: Bryston 4B ST or Pass Aleph 5

All:

I am thinking about revamping my system and am looking for something that can work with my Magnepan MG12s and can grow with me up the Magnepan line. I haven't thought much about pre-amps (except something like a Krell 300i, but I'm not sure how that would play with the larger Magnepans), but have started thinking about amps.

After much research on this website and others, I have found two amps that seem to be recommended more than others for Magnepans: the Bryston 4B ST and the Pass Labs Aleph 5. I'd probably also consider pre-amps from the same companies, as they seem to perform well and I like the idea of a matched amp and pre-amp.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the Bryston myself. I'm definitely on a budget for the amp (under $1500) so I have already discounted the McIntoshs, Krells, of the world.

I listen to classical music (primarily instrumental, solo through small ensemble music) and currently prefer Kimber Kable interconnects and speaker wire and my Marantz CD63 KI, although these preferences could change if I was properly convinced. I am also relatively new into this realm of hi-fi.

Thanks!
mre2007

Showing 4 responses by bemopti123

Not all tubed preamps are pricey. If I were you, I would watch carefully until a First Sound Presence Deluxe MKI comes up for sale. Its newer sibling made deep ripples about 4 years ago on a Soundstage.com review. The MKI version price floats between $1500-1300, but I saw someone selling one for about 1K. That is an outstanding preamp that will partner very well with almost any amp out there.

I personally have a First Sound Paramount Deluxe MKII Hot Rod, and have it paired with several different amps. With them all, nothing, I mean nothing has ever surpassed its dynamic signature.

Paul
Check this link for the BAT preamp I was referring to.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1126124777

Paul
You are asking for the holy grail. I believe that the only preamp that sort of match your needs is an older BAT-3P? All BAT preamps are balanced and this one has remote and even an optional phono card. Tube changes should not worry you much....but then, there are preamps that use 6 tubes, the First Sound used just 4,2 0A2 tubes (around $10 a pair?) and 2 6922 or 88cc tubes, these are a little more. But, you do not need to get carried away with people telling you that New Old Stock tubes are better, modern preamps are fine with new, well tested tubes that do not have to cost you a liver or a kidney.

Paul

PS: The BAT I am telling you about runs easily into around $1500, used.
Going back to your questions about the sonic benefits of getting a tubed preamp and a SS amp, it has to do with the sonic qualities you might like. Bryston, is fairly neutral but to some, this might be too cold or unemotional. When you add the right tubed preamp, it will add a sense of warmth that will allow you to listen longer without getting sonically jaded.

Of the two choices you mention, the Sonic Frontiers Line 2 is known to be a more restrained or neutral tubed preamp.

The BAT might have a more traditional or robust, emotional presentation.

The Bat, even if it does not have the phono board, might allow you to get fitted with one from the factory, because the new, X designation model of the VK-3 might use the same physical dimensions. But, the phono board for what I can remember it was around $500 alone. You might be better off purchasing a different phono stage later.