New $500 "best" phono stage?

A friend said he recently read an article by Mickey Fremmer in which Fremmer said a $500 phono stage was among the best he's ever heard. But my friend couldn't recall the name of the phono stage. Anyone know what my friend is referring to? As a Plinius Jarrah owner, I had figured I'd have to spend 4 times the cost of the Jarrah (about $650) to hear something better. So a "best" $500 phono stage could be very appealing. Thanks, everyone, for your assistance.
paul_frumkin

Showing 2 responses by caterham1700

I dunno anything about Mr Fremer's findings but I've recently been playing with the new Dynavector P75. It's seriously good at under $600 retail and is finding itself comfortable in the company of some old favorites in the $1000-1500 range in direct head-to-head comparison auditions.Not too impressive to look at but definately worth a listen.

http://www.dynavector.co.jp/english/frame_cart/e_p75.html

I've tried it plugged straight into a dedicated mains, standard household mains and into line conditioners and quite frankly, at this point in my familiarisation of the Dyna's character ,I have not discerned any significant changes to the presentation.
I can't imagine that it's totally immune to line supply and filtration but it does seem unusually unresponsive to the usual tweaking.
There sure isn't much to look at inside the tiny device.I'm assuming that it uses a form of switching mode supply inside the box and that the supplied wall wart is just to step it down to a 12 V current.