Network digital players--any good?

OK, the Squeezebox is seemingly passe so looking at other options for the wife to stream stuff off Pandora, her Ipad and probably for me off the PC. Also, currently using an old Preamp and running the ST through my Cambridge Audio CDP DAC. So, it coudl be time for a preamp, DAC and streamer OR all 3 rolled into one...which seems to be a growing thing. SO, anyone got input on this...familiar with the current stock. I found both a Marantz unit and a Musical Fidelity CLIC1 for sale at Music Direct and Audio Advisor. Probably more mid-fi? I am kind of out of my knowledge base looking at this stuff. I see much higher priced unis from Bryston etc but I am looking more around $1000. IS any of this stuff worth looking at?
joekapahulu

Showing 2 responses by dragon1952

I believe the PS Audio Perfectwave w/bridge would be another (likely better) option but you'd be looking at slightly over $2000 used for the MKII and a few hundred less for the MK1. The one's you are looking at are likely very decent options for your needs but probably not much better (if at all) than your current solution. The SBT through the Cambridge Audio 740 or 840C isn't a bad deal at all. Maybe you'd be better off upgrading the preamp/amp if you feel that's a weak link?
I'm in a similar position using the networked SBT into a PS Audio NuWave (which replaced a CA 840C, BTW) and I've been looking for another networked solution to get the SBT out of the loop. I've looked at the same products you have, as well as the Rendu, and I just felt they wouldn't be that much of an upgrade, if any, so my next step will likely be the Perfectwave. Then again I guess it depends on whether you are looking to just consolidate into less gear or strictly going for the next SQ level.
The good thing about upgrading from the SBT though is that you can usually get quite a bit more than you paid for them due to the fact that they are discontinued but still very sought after.
If I was going to spend that much I'd just spend a bit more and get the PerfectWave and get the network and preamp capability plus a better DAC all in one. Some of those other network solutions very likely have compromises but I would bet the PerfectWave (which is a DAC first) with the digital lenses and quality design (and upgradability) would be hard to beat.