Need rec on $500 preamp

I am looking for a decent preamp around $500 (could be new or used). I might be willing to go closer to $1000 if the performance is really noticable. I am running a Technics 1210 5MG with fluid damper, and a Shure V15 III cart (stock wiring). For digital I am running a Sony 9100 ES (will probably add a Benchmark DAC soon). I don't have a tuner but would like to leave room in the preamp for one later. My amp is a Mcintosh MC 250 and Klipsch Heresey II's for speakers.

Right now I am using an old Carver C-1 for a preamp. It is ok but I am having to clean the pots/contacts out pretty often and now one of the aux inputs has an intermittant channel. Rather than get it fixed I am just looking to upgrade. I am leaning towards the new NAD 162(?) but I thought I would get some opinions here. I don't do much if any processing to the sound so I would like it to be as seamless as possible. Maybe bass and treble controls, but not much more. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
jlc76

Showing 2 responses by jlc76

I can't completely ditch the tuner unless I can find my three fav local stations through that Squeezebox thing. I have been toying around with converting all my CDs to some type of lossless format (don't know which yet) so having the USB might be desirable. Especially considering that I have the PC in my audio room the wife won't let me have an audio only room :-(

I have looked at the preamp but I wish it had more analog inputs. I need one for SACD (so it doesn't get converted to PCM), one for my TT, and one for a Tuner (although I may get one of those Sangean HD Radio tuners which can carry the signal over optic/coax...I wonder if it will do the same for my analog only stations...)

Thanks for the recs., keep 'em coming I will start doing my research.
Rlwainwright, I am very wary of any of the Hong Kong equipment. I have seen tons of this homebuilt stuff from HK on ebay.