Need help with anti-skating on Technics SL-1210GR

Hi, I have a Lyra Delos on my 1210GR. When using a blank record or doing the end-of-grooves technique the arm continue to go towards the center unless I have the anti-skating set to 3. I can drop the arm at the beginning of a blank disk and it will move towards the center until I turn the anti-skating all the way up to 3. Repeatable every time.

Do I have a faulty anti-skating? Should I leave it at 3?

I have confirmed the weight at 1.75 with two different scales. I’m also pretty sure the alignment and overhang are correct although I’m not an expert at doing the last two.

Any suggestions?
128x128arancano

Showing 1 response by benjie

arancano

Setting antiskate is not hard, nor an exact science. Because of the way antiskate changes as the tonearm moves closer to the end of a record there is no perfect number to set it at. Probably the biggest factor in antiskate is the tonearm bearing. Antiskate when measured with a proper antiskate gauge will show how good or poor a tonearm is designed and that is the reason why the same cartridge could have different antiskate settings in different tonearms.

For a 9 inch tonearm, which you have, antiskate is about 7% at the beginning of the record and is about 10% at the second null point. This is just the physics of all of this, so don't get all twisted up in the numbers, it's not important to understand all of the science behind how these percentages were determined. 

Your cartridge tracking force is 1.75 grams, set your antiskate at half that value .87 grams, which would be just below the 1 mark on your antiskate scale. Listen to an album. Do you hear any distortion in the right or left channels? If so add more antiskate if its left, less if its right. One important point, if you have to make an adjustment, make the move small, don't move the scale knob a full notch, just a tiny bit at a time. That's all there is to it. Your cartridge stylus will wear very evenly in the record groove. Now sit back and enjoy the music !!!