Need Help finding Speakers Budget 20,000 US

Hi All

Firstly let me give my room Specification:

8 Meters by 8 Meters. Height of the room is 3.2 Meters.

Acoustic Panels everywhere around the room. Its pretty dead.

Amplifiers:

Clayton M300 Mono Blocks
Bob Carver Black Beauty

Pre-Amp
Purity Audio Ultra 2 Series
DAC (Need to get one)
CD Player Oppo 95 Modified.

Budget 20,000 US.

I don’t live in USA so difficult to try out some of the US brands.

I am interested in:

Salk Sound Scape 12
Tannoy Kingdom Royal
B&W 800 or 802 N
Evolution Acoustics not sure which model as the company never responds to emails nor does there dealers.
Daedalus Audio
YBL
Ushers

Any other recommendation to go by?

I listen to Allot of Movie Sound Tracks, Classical Epic Music, Sometimes Pop Rock And hip hop. Down tempo, Chill out and Jazz.
dragon_vibe

Showing 4 responses by david12

What are the costs of say a Wilson Speaker. You are paying for an expensive R and D department, a massive marketing budget, distributor and dealers profits. I wonder what percentage of a Sonus Faber or Wilson speaker is actual labour amd material costs, I don't know, but I would be suprised if it is more than 25%

You take the small guy like Daedalus, Fritz. They have both been in the business for decades, no marketing, no dealers, no R and D department. I can also assure you, if and it's a rare if, a Daedalus speaker comes up second hand, it usually sells pretty quickly
Pbnaudio, my comments were'nt a criticism, but an observation on the break down of pricing in HiFi companies. If you want to get a good bang for your buck, then the one man operation, selling direct to the customer, is a good way to go. Particularly if they have a good reputation and offer home trials, as both Fritz and Daedalus do.
I hope you enjoy them, they have a good reputation. Please report back your impressions of them
Another vote for Daedalus, they are easy to drive, fast and dynamic, detailed but not etched or bright. I have had my speakers for 4 years and they are staying till one of us pegs out, probably me, as I am not made from seasoned hardwood.

I agree with Bo1972 though. You are talking a lot of money here, you have to listen to the speakers first. Lou at Daedalus has a group of owners happy to demo there speakers. If you are interested, give him a call, he is always helpful. I personally prefer this type of Dem over a shop, where time is money. It does'nt really matter which you listen to, as there seems to be a "house sound". Good luck and report back your experience please.