Naim Nait 2 vs. Rega Mira 3

I have owned a Nait 2 and orginal Rega Planet (with extra attenuation) for about 6 months. I recently got the itch to change and moved to a Rega Apollo and Rega Mira 3. My preliminary notes show that it just doesn't sound as good to me. Anybody have any reflections on this?
kforton
I've heard the 5i and don't really like it. To me the Nait 2 sounds more natural and not as hi-fi. I do not want to admit that the Rega sounds more hi-fi because I like the company (I have a cdp and truntable/arm/cart from them) and their philosophy. The Nait 2 phono stage is just awesome for the money. I thought the same of the Rega when demoing it, but don't find it so great now. Crap.
That is the problem with demos.

If you find the 5i and Mira 3 to be hifi, then you need to look for something totally different. You might like a McIntosh MA6400. They can be hard to find but it sounds to me like the perfect candidate for you. It is all-natural with few hifi pretences, at least compared to modern components. And I am told the phono stage is quite good too.

But are you sure it isn't the Apollo you don't care for? It seems to me your description is that of the Apollo and not of the Mira. I find the Mira laid back but the Apollo is quite hifi-sounding...a good bit moreso than the original Planet even. You may simply need a different cd player.

Arthur
Arthur, I see what you are getting at, but I hear the same kind of character in the phono section as I do in the CD section. I am going to give it some more time, but my first instincts are almost always right on these things.
I went back to the Nait 2 for anyone who is tracking this. The Mira just didn't excite me as much and didn't sound quite as real.