NAD 3020A Integrated Amp

So I have a series of questions re: a NAD 3020A I just bought on Ebay. I'm just getting started on trying to build a good system so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

1. NAD 3020A Amp hooked to JBL 4312A Control Monitors and new REGA RP-1 Turntable. NAD is replacing a early 90's Sansui RZ-1000. I would have thought there would have been an appreciable difference in sound quality but I'm not sure that there is. Can't tell if it better, worse or just different.

2. NAD delivers a electrical snap sound to the speaker which Sansui did not. Is this cause for concern? Should I have this unit tested / looked over?

3. As this is an older amp it has limited inputs. Is it ok to run IPOD or DVD into the AUX input? Also no CD input, any ideas?
Nate
iamnate

Showing 3 responses by quadophile

The caps in that Nad are good 30 years old, generally the life of caps is about 15 years before they start to wear out and change the sound of a particular amp. The real character of this little beauty may not be what you are hearing so making a judgment after 30 years on the sound of the amp is kind of unfair.

In its day it was a great sounding amp and I had the pleasure of listening to one brand new bought by a very close friend who continued to own it for next decade or so driving his Wharfrdale Diamond initially and later the Wharfdale E40's. I had owned the Nad 3225PE which essentially was the same amp albeit with "Power Envelope" circuitry incorporated.

The Nad 3020A was the poor audiophiles integrated amp as I remember it being dubbed by the press.

Just my 0.02
Iamnate,

In my humble opinion the parts and labor will be more than the amount you may have paid for this amp so it is not me who decides. If you are handy with a soldering iron and know a bit about electronics you can do that yourself as suggested by Pryso. If not you need to consider your options

I know exactly what you mean about sound from that era, yes it was musical and warm. I have progressed to tubes and I am blessed with the same kind of sound I used to get from the equipment in question, I owned Quad equipment back in the days and upgraded with another Quad later on.

Here is an option for you to consider in future, as I am very satisfied with what I have now, it gives me the same musical sound as if I was transported back in the 70's and 80's.

What you need to be on the lookout is tube amps from Dared, they are extremely reasonable in price and have the best price/performance ratio under $1000. You can get a used Dared on Audiogon as well as on other sites. I currently use a Dared VP-16 in my bedroom and it is in one word "sweet"

You can get a Dared VP-16 for as little as $350 used (price for new is $895. Another great little model from them is MP-5 (brand new around $550 or thereabouts), You can get them used at much less than a VP-16. Dared has other offerings as well so I suggest you first check out their site when you have time and see what you fancy.

If you have questions or need to know more let me know and I will oblige.
Nmmusicman's suggestion about replacing the jumpers with the IC is surely a great tweak for the Nad, yes it does improve the sound. I remember I used a Cable Talk Monitor 2 interconnect and there was a huge improvement. The cable which has low impedance as well as low capacitance will do the trick, I used Cable talk for this very reason.