My 6922 Tubes Are Too Bright!

I recently bought a Canary CD-100 CD player.  I swapped out the ElectroHarmonix 6922 tubes for Amperex NOS made in Holland since I had read a review stating that the tubes it came with were too bright.  Unfortunately, it's still too bright for my tastes.  Does anyone have a 6922 they would recommend that's a bit warmer?
Thanks!
wbaggesen

Showing 1 response by bimasta

Most of you have more experience with 6DJ8s than I. But I recently started using a Moscode power amp (tube input, Mosfet output). The 6DJ8s were nameless generic Russian, not even a "brand". I thought surely I could improve on them.
I had a pair of NOS American-made gold-pin Amperex. According to some online discussions, it was "the best" 6DJ8 ever made. Even if that’s just bs, I figured it had to be good, certainly better than no-name Russians.
They weren’t nearly as good — big disappointment. The difference wasn’t minor: the Russians were better in every respect, and I put them back in.

No break-in time on the Amperex, which might be a factor... but the gap it would have to close seems insurmountable.
I just wish those Russians did have a name, I’d buy a lot more.