Musical Fidelity M6-500i vs Kw - 500

Hello guys
I was browsing around the web today and stumbled across
the latest Super Integrated from Musical Fidelity .
This is a 500wpc into 8ohm beast similar in power to the limited edition Kw -500 , Some changes are evident between these models , The older Kw -500 has an external power supply and MM phono stage and single ended inputs only
along with 6112 milspec valves in the pre -amp section.
The Kw -500 was made in England.
The M6 - 500i has line level inputs only with 1 set of balanced inputs no valves appear to be in this unit making it solid state , The power supply of the M6-500 is onboard . The m6 -500i is made in Taiwan.
Has anyone else compared these two units ? Seems they each have advantages depending on your system setup.
I wonder if the new M6-500i would be much better ?
steam3642

Showing 2 responses by nvp

Congratulation on the new KW-500 amp Stem3642!

I believe you did the right thing choosing the KW-500 over the M6500i. IMO buying new MF products is a rip-off. On the other hand, 2nd hand MF units are probably the best bargains in hi-fi.

What speakers are you using with this monster?

Hi Steam3642,

Maybe I should clarify my previous statements.

I will start by saying that I like very much the MF KW500 and Nuvista M3 integratded and most likely when I will have the space for a second (large) system, I will buy one of these two integrated together with a pair of B&W 802D/8000D speakers. Having said that, I believe that it is important (especially for the new comers to this hobby) to know how Musical Fidelity (MF) actually "operates". I know I might be opening a can of worms ... :)

In the following I will tell you my experience with MF, but from what I have read over the last 7 years or so on forums, it seems that my story is a pretty common one.

About 4 years ago, I bought from a MF authorized dealer an MF A5 combo (integrated amp and CD player) with full warranty for 2500 euros (the normal retail price was 4500 euros). This was a few months after MF has release of the A5.5 series, i.e. the successor of A5 series. The units I got were not even demo units - the dealer unsealed the boxes in front of me and he had another A5 combo on display - his demo units (probably he had a few more new units in the back :) ). The same dealer also had an A308 integrated, also new with full warranty. The A308 was a bit more expensive than the A5, i.e. around 1500 euros, as initially it was more expensive than the A5. (I have compared the two integrated, A308 vs. A5, for a few hours and the differences between the two units, if any, were insignificant. I bought the A4 units because I wanted the cd player to visually much the amp - the dealer did not have a A308 cd player. Later I have also compared the A5 with A5.5 and again no real improvement.)

It should be clear to anyone that back then at 2500 euros the A5 combo (with or without warranty) had absolutely no competition. This is probably still the case today. I was externally happy with the deal I got (I still think it was a very very good deal). However, I would have really hated to be in the shoes of somebody who paid full retail price, i.e. 4500 euros, for the A5 combo. That is because in the next months the prices dropped even more. Firstly, because my dealer was not the only one practicing those prices, the prices of the A5 combo on the 2nd hand market dropped even more (e.g. around 2000 euros for the combo), and secondly, because after a year or so MF has decided to discontinues all its lines (A5.5, A1008, KW, A1 and the superchargers). To some extent, or at least for a while, they gave me the impression that they have changed also their philosophy, i.e. they were not talking about hundreds of watts anymore but about low power class A integrated and suddenly also started to believe in balanced inputs. After this, I have completely lost my respect for the company (but not for their amplifiers).

I conclude by saying that because of the facts I have stated above most of MF amplifiers are very good bargains on the 2nd hand market. (I would stay away form their CD players.) Because MF is releasing new and "better" products (every year or so) at the same time discontinuing entire line, it is not worth paying full retail price for MF products. Chances are that in a year or so you will get the same product from the same dealer with full warranty at almost half the initial price (at least this is the case here in The Netherlands).

Regarding the integrated you have mentioned (KW500, Trivista 300 and Nuvista M3), they tend to have fair prices on the 2nd hand market, i.e. not as good a bargain compared the rest of MF 2nd hand amps. This is mostly because they are very good amps, but probably also because Michaelson has advertised these units as being 1) among the best 5 integrated in the world regardless of price, and 2 ) limited editions. However, al least in case of MF, I tend to believe that Seindfeld (the comedian) is right when he says that "limited edition" means "limited to the number they can sell". I am saying this because about a year ago, there were 5 different MF Nuvista M3 integrated for sell at the same time on the 2nd hand adds in the Netherlands (on www.marktplaats.nl and www.hifi.nl). How is that possible, if there were only 500 made? I am a bit sorry I did not take a screen shot back then :).

Finally I would like to make clear the fact that my feeling towards the MF company are related to their lack of respect for their costumers. They really have nothing to do with my experience with the A5 MF integrated which was a very good one. For the price I have paid for the A5 combo, their only weakness was Michaelson or maybe I should say their name, i.e. Musical Fidelity. Moreover, after approximately 1.5 years after buying it, I have traded in the A5 combo to a dealer for a bit more than 2000 euros (I got that much because I have bought the quite expensive top of the Accuphase integrated and CD player). These days, one can simply not ask more from a hi-fi set.