Music lover or audiophile?

I think you have to decide, are you a music lover or audiophile?  I know the majority will say, both.
 I’m not so sure though. The nature of audiophilia is to get in there and fiddle with the tools, like any other hobbyist.  The difference in our hobby though is that presumably, our ultimate goal is to have the best musical experience we can get. The hobbyist is never really finished. The manipulation of the materials is the fun. The music lover, however, wants to get the most out of that esthetic experience.  
By continually plying materials, the audiophile is on an endless quest for better sound.
 After years of this quest, I’ve decided I can be a music lover or an audiophile.  I’m happy listening to my system now the way it is.  So, I’ve decided to be a music lover once again.
128x128rvpiano
Simple answer from me -

Early 70s            -> Music listener only.
End 70s to 2012 -> Equipment buyer/swapper.
2012                    -> DSP & room correction.
(*see "Is DEQX a game changer" thread)
2017 onward      -> Music listener only.

* https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/is-deqx-a-game-changer?highlight=is%2Bdeqx%2Ba%2Bgame%2Bchanger
My earliest exposure to music was when I was quite young. For my 9th or 10th birthday I received a small transistor radio as a gift. I spent endless hours listening to the then new music of the British invasion; The Beatles, The Stones, Petula Clark et al. Like many families our living room included a console stereo, nothing fancy, a Montgomery Wards rig if I recall, but it sounded better than my transistor, with better bass and it played much louder.

Around this same time a shopping mall was built in our neighborhood. That first mall included an Allied Radio store and several record shops. Allied Radio was my first exposure to Hi-Fi components; amplifiers, preamps, loudspeakers, turntables and tape decks. The listening rooms were filled with exotic brands like Marantz, AR, Wharfdale, Ampex, Dynaco, Fisher, KLH and Harmon Kardon. I studied the Allied catalog religiously, imagining all the equipment I would own if I were rich.

My love of music proceeded my love for audio gear, but good audio gear enhanced my love of music.

Music is still an important part of my everyday life. Over the years I've amassed a good collection of LPs and CDs. My musical tastes are more eclectic now and include classical, big band and some jazz. I own a few "Audiophile" recordings, but the bulk of my collection is just good music I enjoy listening to.

I don't have the large sums of money to spend on audio gear that some more fortunate audiophiles do, but I've always been able to build a system that is musical and realistic sounding without a bank loan.

For the past several years I've owned a pair of Magnepan 1.7i loudspeakers, Syzygy sub woofers and Audio Research electronics. I normally buy my loudspeakers and turntables new, and my electronics second hand. I've found that high-end second hand electronics are a great way to get terrific sounding components for about half the price of new. Vacuum Tubes can be a bit finicky, but the sound they produce is worth the fiddling. My entire system cost me less than $20,000, but rivals some systems I've heard costing far more.

Good music is important to me. It lifts my spirit and often reminds me of the people and places I knew when I heard an album for the first time. So whether I'm in the mood for Antonio Vivaldi, Led Zeppelin or Chet Baker it's nice to know I have a system capable of rendering the music in a pleasing manner.

I've been at this for over 50 years, so am I a audiophile? Perhaps, but a music lover for sure.

i am a music lover.  i can enjoy music that i hear in a cafe on a funky system or on a AM car radio.  
Music lover first- which is why much of my music listening is now blu ray concerts in full surround sound and big screen visuals. I have had a very audiophile oriented system (VPI turntable and record cleaner, bi amplification etc) that I listened to in the dark, but at this point my enjoyment comes from life like scale and impact more then highly resolved inner detail. Maybe because I am old and deaf. 
Music lover all the way.I would much rather discover new music music than a new piece of equipment, just as a true musician would rather create a new piece than buy a new guitar. Some people get too hung up on buying tools and never really use them.