Music for 2022- Is It Just Me Or?..

Hello All!

December is now here and I realize that I have not purchased as much music this year. Being a Redbook guy I normally buy an average of 150-200 titles a year. So far this year-30 (and it’s not for lack of looking). I’m getting another order ready and have only 25 titles that want to own so far.

So- I wanted to put this question out to the group to see if it’s just me thinking this or if others feel the same- 

Have you found 2022 do be a boring year when it comes to new and interesting music?

Not talking about reissued “one more for the road” stuff.

designsfx

Showing 2 responses by tylermunns

There’s a NYT article today talking about new music.
It’s unintentionally hilarious.

It starts by noting that the 2022 Saucy Santana single, “Booty,” not only uses the same Chi-Lites sample that gave Beyoncé her signature song, “Crazy in Love,” (the Beyoncé song is essentially nothing without the Chi-Lites sample - if there’s anything good about the Beyoncé song, it’s the liberal looping/sampling of the awesome horn riff by the Chi-Lites, which is clearly the defining characteristic of ‘Beyoncé’s song’) but that the artist is really appropriating Beyoncé, wearing an almost identical outfit in the video as Beyoncé used in the “Crazy in Love” video and mimicking her moves.

So a ripoff of a ripoff.

We’re talking about mind-bending levels of artistic vacancy here.

Here’s the laughable apologia offered by the NYT writer for this stupefyingly-low standard of originality in modern pop music:

”No longer burdened by the expectation of innovation, established artists essentially use these well-worn samples to firmly insert themselves into the historical pop slipstream.”

Ya can’t make this stuff up.

There is no denying that current mainstream pop music is pure and utter trash.

Anyone who says otherwise is lying or has no taste.