Muse Model 10

This will be a short post with more to come later. I recently ordered and received my brand new Muse Model 10. This unit plays CD, DVD, DVD-A, and those "Enhanced Audio" discs recorded on DVDs (E.g., Chesky, that Midwest label whose name is eluding me--Classic?). It probably plays all kinds of CD-RW discs also, but I haven't got that far with it.

Here are the stats: I am 56 years old and have been in high-end audio for 25 years. I have plenty of experience. Presently the Model 10 runs direct to my Pass/Volksamp Aleph 60 mono amps. The amps power Quad 989 electrostatics, with and without augmentation from stereo pair of Vandersteen 2Wq subs below 80 Hz. The Muse has a fully differential (balanced), digitally controlled ANALOG Remote volume control. This is how I listen, if it helps to know..

The Muse Model 10 is the best digital disc player of any kind that I have ever heard. It beats my Sony SCD-1, which I loved, and it beats the Wadia 301, that I liked in many ways but found too "furry" and rolled off. ThisModel 10, which will probably never get a review in Stereophile (not English, not ARC-Krell-ML, etc.). But it is simply magical in its clarity, transparency and dynamics. The soundstage and imaging are probably as good as the best vinyl rigs I have had. I wish I had more time right now, but I must go.

I mean this very seriously, or I wouldn't write at all. This is a stunning achievement in digital players. In my system, in my house, it is the best I have ever heard. Really and truly. Costs about $5000.

Good listening,
Jeffrey
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjeffreyfranz

Showing 1 response by scotty_910

Hi Jeff - I upgraded my model 9 sig to the 10 and love it. I am waitng for muse to come out with a universal player that will play redbook as well as the model 10 does (Kevin Halverson the owner will tell you the 10 plays redbook better than the universal model 11 does - so I will not upgrade until he says he has a model that bests the 10 in redbook playback). It is essentially having a great cd/dvd A player that also plays your dvd movies for you. I love mine and I think it is well worth it. Wish I could do a shoot out with a wadia 861 - just for giggles. It would be an interesting price/value comparison.

Cheers - Scott