MQA Stream into non MQA DAC

Would streaming MQA ( BS Node 2i) to a separate R2R non MQA Dac allow for unfolding MQA up to the highest resolution the non MQA DAC will allow, a partial unfolding if you will. I recall reading somewhere a partial unfolding would occur (not sure what that would be or sound like). Appreciate any insights from the experts. Thanks.
toneranger58

Showing 1 response by 213cobra

Tidal HiFi MQA files can be played on any DAC. If you are playing Tidal HiFi from Roon or from Tidal's own app, the first unfold is performed in software by either application and the destination DAC will playback according to its bit and rate capabilities. MQA is inconsistent on SQ. Sometimes it's better; sometimes it's not. But when it's better the difference can be easily recognized on any decent DAC.

I use Auralic streamers. Auralic does not abide the MQA contract and technical terms, so it devised a proprietary method in software to decode MQA without violating the Meridian terms (beauty of software). This works very well. I have listened to MQA sent directly to an MQA DAC vs. same played through a Auralic Aries streamers and generally the Auralic proprietary decode is better than the MQA software first unforld or both-unfolds configuration.

Qobuz at 24/96 & 24/192 has more consistently better SQ than MQA, but Tidal has a larger library. They are cheap enough to consider having both. I also have about 6000 CDs burned to disc on bit-perfect rips, and they are not humiliated by same MQA tracks, and are often better.

Phil