Moving from 120 VAC to 220 VAC operation on Krell monoblocks

Just read an interesting article from MBL regarding audio benefits for operating power amplifier at 220 VAC on dedicated electrical circuit. http://www.msbtechnology.com/faq/how-to-wire-your-house-for-good-power/

Also read on the Gon that Dan d’Agostino has voiced the sound of the FPB amp series by operating them at 220 VAC. 

I currently own a pair of Krell FPB-350 MCX monoblocks which operate on 120 VAC dedicated circuits (14 gauge wire). Contacted Krell and they indicated dip switch positions for operating the amps on 220 VAC. The MBL paper suggests to wire 220 VAC dedicated circuit using 10 gauge wire to reduce electrical noise and amplifier modulation of electrical circuit.

While the theory seem to be valid and before rewiring my dedicated circuits, I would like to have some Krell amp owners comment on the benefit of going to 220 VAC operation for those who have performed the mod.

128x128dasign

Showing 3 responses by ct0517

According to the MBL article, using 10 gauge wire is the first step to audio heaven

Just be careful or you WILL end up in Audio heaven......

Probably not too many Krell owners who went for 220 VAC operation.

Probably not but the amps do come with a 20 amp outlet, their stock power cords then change it down to 15 amp plug - to fit your average house here - for sales I guess.
All Krell owners I know use a 20 amp cord on a 20 amp circuit. I do with my FPB600.  

^^^^^

A very good reason to not wear your wedding ring. hah hah  

So I guess there is no place waiting for me in heaven :-).

Daniel

Just my personal opinion.

re: Audio Heaven - it is for Music Lovers.  Audiophiles are never happy.

Now the real authentic Heaven has room for everybody - even Audiophiles 8^0 

so what happened to the Canadiens this season ? 

Chris 
Daniel

Being an electronics engineer affords you the ability to experiment in ways others can't.  

Special thanks to Mr. Bresnahan from Krell who was very supportive in answering these issues.

As we know, Patrick is one of the good guys; left from the old D'Agostino regime.Always helpful and knowledgeable.

In talking with him in the past, I have tried to Imagine what was going through his head, when he saw the new regime, toss D'Agostino intellectual property into trash bins.

If anyone has ever contacted Krell looking for KBX Crossover Cards, or other similar parts... and they tell you ...sorry ...we don't have any in stock. ........take a guess why :^(

Readers don' t need to take my word. Ask Patrick direct.