Most Rockingest Preamp south of $2k used

I'm curious if anyone knows of, has heard about or owns a preamp that simply does the most justice to rock n roll, under $2k (or more) used. The one SS pre I owned (Odyssey) seemed a bit light in the mids and bass, arguably the two most important components to rock. Then I went tubes, and I think it's in the right direction. Regardless of SS or tube, I would think the ultimate rock pre would be a PRAT king, maybe even pushing the beat a little, certainly not laid back, with great bass, mids and dimensionality and overall musicality (vs analytical). Am I missing anything?

I'm tired of putting the cart before the horse -- researching what's for sale on agon as opposed to having a few models to look out for and keeping an eye out for them. Who's got a say in the most rockingest pre?
tholt

Showing 12 responses by morgoth360

Tholt:
I feel the same way you do about putting the cart before the horse, you just answered a question i posed in Agon about preamps and rock.
Have you found the Rockingest preamp? if you don't mind can you share your findings with me, so i can have a reference to start.
Thank you
Tholt,What became of the advice about audible illusions M3 did you ever got a chance to hear one?
Sounds good but how does hard rock/metal sound thru the Audio Mirror preamp, how does it compare against other preamps like Rogue metis or Croft precession to name a few.
I have the McCormack DNA-125, and been looking for a preamp like Tholt that will aside from producing excellent bass including mid & upper, but also posses a midrange that can resolve signature sound of a Flying V or a Strat or any other guitar i'm listening to, i've tried several ss preamplifiers without success i've heard that tubes do a better job in resolving tonal differences my budget is 2k and i don't mind buying used, i will appreciate any suggestions.
From all the suggestions here and elsewhere i came out with a couple choices the Modwright SWL-9.0 or the Rogue Audio Magnum 99, now of this two which one will be the better choice for listening to hard rock.
What about Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 anyone on Agon can tell me if this preamp rock's, or is it geared towards classical music?
Tholt what can you tell me about the Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 a friend suggested i give it a listen, i'm getting lots of suggestions but most of this preamps are either old or are only available online so it's not feasible for me to make comparisons, that's why i'm asking for your help also it seams like were both looking for similar results from our respective systems.
thanks
What i meant by old was that you cannot audition as easily as a new model, it's just harder to find places were you can listen and compare audio equipment.
Macdadtexas:
You recommend the Cary SLI-80, but what about the SLP 98p, i've been readying alot of positive reviews about it, in your opinion is the SLP 98p one of the Rockingest preamps
around?
O.K i'm new with all this terminology what does PRAT stand for, and is it something that will make music more enjoyable.
Tholt i'm glad you finally found a preamp you're happy with, im trying to find a dealer in the Los Angeles area that carries the Shindo Labs gear, i've been reading lots of rave reviews and it sounds like it might be exactly what i've been looking for, thanks again for all your help.
One last question Tholt,is the sound of the Shindo laid back or forward and how's the midrange when it reproduces the sound of an electric guitar.
Thanks again