Most overrated audio manufacturers?

Thoughts?
lse

Showing 8 responses by zd542

"Lse - do you have any thoughts?"

I think he wants to watch the fight, not start it. lol. I know this one won't make anyone mad at me: Magnepan.
"That has to be a joke. Magneplanar is one of the few really great high performance values in high end audio today.

Yes, Zd542 is pulling our preverbal leg. Must be.."

Honestly, I really do think they're overrated. But I'm not saying they are bad speakers. I think they're good, but still a bit overrated.
"07-04-14: Elizabeth
The op did not even bother to list any of his own.
So I call 'Troll'."

Actually, the OP did give some input.

"07-03-14: Lse
I'm curious as to what folks say but here are some quick ones based on my ears: totem, B&W except for the uk made higher end products, focal, and gallo"
"07-05-14: Twb2
Ayre?? Not my experience! Sound quality, reliability and customer service from Ayre are absolutely superb IMO. All my Ayre gear (and I have a lot) was purchased used, so value is excellent as well. However, I don't like dealing with their dealers."

If you are looking for a good Ayre dealer, try one of these: Audio Connection, Audio Center and Audio Alternative. Audio Connection is my favorite, but the other 2 are also very good. I've done business with all 3 and always had a good experience.
The real question isn't "what equipment is overrated?", but "why is it overrated?". If you can get to the "why" of it, you'll have some info that is of real use.
What about if the word Reference is something other than the first? Is it still BS, or is it credible?
"07-15-14: Plasmatech
I would have preferred a more focused question of which manufacturers over-promise and under-deliver, and cite at least two instances of this occuring."

Its an interresting question, but how do you define over-promise and under-deliver? If you're talking about sound quality, for example, its subjective. I don't see how you can define something like that unless you rate things on an individual basis.
"10-01-14: Dayglow
Vandersteen Audio-1/2/3 models lack speed and resolution but keep selling?"

Vandersteen is a fairly unique company. Most of the time, people aren't setting them up right. The speakers are capable of very high resolution. I put my Vandersteen Model 2's next to my friends B&W 802d's. After going back and forth, we came to the conclusion that my Model 2's have just as much, if not more detail. I also have a pair of Wilson's in my 2'nd system, and the 2's easily outperform them as well. If anyone is interested, download some owners manuals off Vandersteens web site and read through them. They explain in detail, what's different about their speakers and how to get best sound.