Moscode 401HR's Sonic Character

I am curious about this hybrid amp. I very briefly saw it at the HE show in NYC, last year. I just read the (overall favorable) review that was just released in TAS.

I am looking to hear from those who own this amp, or have taken advantage of Moscode's generous in-home audition.

How would you describe this amp's sound?
Does it sound like a tube amp?
Does it sound like a solid state amp?
Does it sound like the best of both worlds...warm "tube" richness, with solid state authority & slam?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
barrelchief

Showing 1 response by warnerwh

The speaker/amp interface I find critical. It's really best to audition an amp in your own system. It appears there's not alot of used ones so you are stuck with a new one.

If you like the idea of a hybrid amp you may want to try one of the AVA Fetvalve amps. I use one and love it. It's got a cleanliness I've not heard before. The sonic signature is very similar to a Blue Circle BC 24 hybrid I had but costs less and has alot more power. It's not as nicely finished and doesn't use the same caps but the sound is truly excellent especially for 2,200.

Best of luck on your search. In my system a hybrid to run the planar/ribbon section of my speakers is the perfect choice imo. You'll have to find out for yourself about the Moscode. There's people who's opinion I respect over at audiocircle who love this amp. On their word alone I'd try it.