Monitor Audio Silver 7i for $500, or newer spkrs?

Hi all,

I'm putting together a new turntable system built around a Rega RP3 with Ortofon 2M Blue. Lately I've been trying to narrow down my speaker selection and have been wondering about this older pair of Monitor Audio floor-standers I came across on my local Craigslist. A guy near me has a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 7i https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH3Mtm-47MTm1DBxtTPVZeNnLB8Kav2R5pSJYy-3BbynBPj1rq7A that he's selling for $500. I know Monitor Audio is very well regarded with their current Silver line, but this one looks to be over 12 years old, but is in good condition nonetheless, from what I can tell. Is this a good deal? He was initially asking $700 and claims these sold for $1400 originally. These have been kept in climate-controlled storage for the last several years.

Would a Monitor Audio Silver 7i still sound as good as the current silver series speakers, or would I be better off putting the same $500 into a pair of current-model speakers of some sort? Assuming these had no issues, how close would these come to the performance of today's versions?

Many thanks for the advice!!!
dmcs414

Showing 1 response by zd542

I don't see how you can go wrong. I used to have the Silver 8's and thought they were a great speaker. For $500 you can do a lot worse.