Modwright sony xa5400 vs Modwright Oppo 95

Anyone got a chance to compare modded xa5400 and Oppo 95 units? How would you define the overall sound character of the two? I am using Merlin speakers with ARS filarmonia amplifier. I like to listen Jazz and Classical mainly. Would like to have a great resolution, vocal clarity, focused sound stage and full bodied presentation (..of Piano and string instruments).
Not looking for comparison between stock and modded units.
Please help me decide between the two. Thanks.
celestial_audio

Showing 7 responses by charles1dad

I`m very familiar with both of these modified players.I`ve heard them in Jwm`s system many times during rather long listening sessions with Red book CD playback. Rfogel8`s summary is quite accurate and complete, but in this particular system I had a slight preference toward the Oppo(organic yet very transparent and excellent resolution). As has already been stated they`re very similar with subtle differences, it`s really system and listener dependent.

I went throuh the entire break in and evaluation of the Playback Design unit(very good) with Jwm and will agree that in his system I did prefer the Modwright players YMMV.
I could live completely content with these modded players(and would if not for my current digital front end).
The vast majority of listeners would be ecstatic with their performance if your priority is natural and realistic music reproduction.
Best Regards,
Sstalwar,
I`m not aware of any fan noise and sitting usually about 5 feet from the player.
Hi,
Daveb, is it your point that the Denon DCD A100 is equal to or in fact better than the modded Modwright players?
I also heard the Modwright OPPO 105 and it clearly betters the modified 95 (which I really enjoyed).It is an improvement in all parameters.The most noticeable are an increased transparency, resolution and a more open spacious sound.In addition this unit has an increased organic-natural character. Music is powerful yet with sense of ease flow.The 95 was very good, the modified 105 has advanced to an entirety superior level.There's more emotion communication which is for me a high level compliment.
Regards,