Modwright Oppo 95 and Computer Audio

Jwm, Rfogel, Mike60, and others - Are you doing computer audio? I ask because I'm thinking if the Modwright Oppo is "good enough", I could just forget about getting into computer audio myself. At this point at least, I don't mind playing CDs. If the sound is significantly better with hi-rez computer files, though, then I want to be thinking about that too. I ask this question because I'm 1) Very "stupid" when it comes to computer audio - and, in fact, don't have a computer presently (and trying to figure out what to get); and 2) planning to get my Oppo 95 modified by Dan Wright or John Tucker (soon, I hope).

Thanks!

p.s. Do you any of you understand the advantage of the digital input Dan Wright is working on? I don't, since the Oppo already has a USB (and eStat, whatever that is)input.
jfz

Showing 1 response by davide256

no ones saying computer audio is better than vinyl(today). But bang for the buck is definitely better with computer audio and digital has the market capitalization to breeze past vinyl with future R&D improvements
1) entry level for high quality vinyl playback is in the $4~5k range for TT, tonearm, moving coil and a decent MC phono preamp. You can get into high quality computer digital playback for about half that price(server, DAC, asynch USB converter)
2) computer audio is portable, convenient and recording can't degrade with play
3) digital will only get better... vinyl is mechanical science technology limited
4) Computer audio elimnates the transport issues with CD/SACD playback; exact copy software insures bit perfect copy