Modwright Oppo 105

I received my Modwright Oppo 105 today. It sounds good, but is relatively lean - and not very extended - in the bass. The sound overall is missing a fullness and organic quality that I associate with tubes as well. I have been using an Exemplar modified Denon 3910 for years, and so far I prefer it. Naturally, I am quite surprised and disappointed so far. I will be patient and put more hours on it, of course. I am very familiar with "break-in." Dan burned it in for 72 hours or more, but I have only put another 5 hours or so on it so far.

Has anyone else had this reaction/experience? Maybe it is the Electro-Harmonix tubes, and I need to try something else? I am also wondering about Dan's use of silver wiring. Thanks for any thoughts you have.

jfz

Showing 1 response by jamnperry

I had the 95 for some time before it was modded and was very familiar with it. I used it really only for SACD's. I had a Modwright Transporter that was my main digital player. It was more musical than the stock Oppo but lacked the delicacy and detail revealed in the Oppo. I had it modded in stages because I wasn't convinced that it could replace the Transporter (or it's exceptional convenience). I first got the SS mod. The immediate difference was a less clinical sound and more robust comparing to the unmodified 95. Dynamics were improved. It did still have that touch of digital edginess but was much better than the detailed yet clinical sounding unmodified player, without losing the detail. At that point, I preferred the Oppo over the Transporter. So sold the Transporter to pay for the Oppo mod. The tube mod brought back that subtle warmth, organic fluidity, and spacious sound stage that I enjoy with vinyl. As it is, it now shares an equal place with the turntable. That I could never totally say before.
The turnaround for me is very fast because I live within easy driving distance to Modwright. My impressions weren't clouded by time.
I am planning to get the new power supply simply because I've never been disappointed with any of the upgrades. When Dan emphatically says it's a major upgrade, I believe it.
Yea.. the 95 and 105 are 2 different players. Thought I'd chime in anyway..