Mmmm Crow tastes good...

So I have been anti subwoofer. And now I’m getting the hype (and maybe the vapors too).

I’m off all this week and remembered a crusty old subwoofer stashed in the dankest corner of my closet. Since the Quicksilver preamp I got a couple of months ago had a 2nd set of outputs I decided to put it on play.

this is a Pinnacle sub, 10” and 200 watts. I think I paid $129 on amazon a few years ago for home the water. Ironically it’s a sealed box implementation.

after a couple of hours of messing with it I think I have it fairly well integrated. I’ll have to make sure it’s not killing my neighbors. It’s not an audiophile sub but it really does add to the enjoyment of my patchwork system.

I do notice that, as with my stand mounts, there less bass at my siting position vs standing in the same spot. So I’ll have to figure out what’s going on with that.

But yeah, assuming I’m not blowing out my neighbors I’ll sincerely consider 2 good subs.
gochurchgo
"REL suggests that when positioning a sub, you are to start with putting the sub in your listening position and then move yourself around the room until the sub sounds "right" to you."

perkri,

The Owner's Manual on my REL T/5i sub states the following with regard to Positioning....

"The optimum position for a REL is in one of the corners behind the main speakers. This position provides 9dB of mechanical amplification and allows for the most linear true low bass wave launch...."
@perkri I’ve been meaning to do that. I need a longer cable and with Christmas fast approaching I’m not sure when I’ll get to it.

it was mentioned about switching phase which I dismissed as it was set to 0 (on the front wall) but going to 180 made a big diff. The void directly in front of the sub I mentioned is now gone. I also set the crossover to about 75hz and I think it blends pretty good. From Ben Webster to Napalm Death to Skinny Puppy to DJ Shadow it’s seems like there’s no sub running until I unplug it.

I do still walk the room as I worry about loading a part that pisses the neighbor off. So far so good. It’s a small victory but I’ll take it. Plus I haven’t had this much time to listen to music in years.
Hi,  I work with special needs kids so I know you are a real life angel to your child. She is lucky. I have equipment I don’t use but no subs. I live in saint Louis, mo and maybe I have equipment that would be upgrades for you at no cost. My email is [email protected].  I would be honored to help
For years I had a system with five Thiel 3.5 and 2 2 loudspeakers, all full-range and the three 3.5's flat down into the '20's.  No sub(s) needed, and flat, full bass response.  One way to beat the problem.
So it seems. Lear to me now I have a null. I only get the nice bass drum hit when my head is all the way back against the wall. No bueno.

with the sub on the front wall I get the same as I do though the mains. If I move 3ft left of the couch which puts me right in the opening to the short hallway the bass is ridiculous. Deep and taught like a....well I don’t know what. At the sitting position it’s warmer but more or less the same as with no sub.

i ordered a cheap 30’ rca cable to do a crawl when I had time but for S & G’s I moved the sub to the right of the couch. After maybe an hour I can get the punchiness and mostly make it not sound like I’m sitting next to it.

For whatever reason this has my psyche in a tizzy as I now question even buying new speakers at some point (which I had built up on my mind as the antidote to the perceived problem). It also bothers me that I need a sub to get in the ballpark of the sound in my head. Don’t ask me why. It’s dumb I agree.

so continued reading seems to leave 2 more potential options.
A. Put my big boy pants on and open my mind to a sub/subs, do the crawl and see how to maybe use a front wall and rear wall placement to work things out. Also pray that I won’t have to move anytime soon and the I’ll always be on the bottom level.
B. Grab that IKEA  2x4 shelf I have laying around and see if some sort of bokkcase can deflect/defuse enough waves to maybe reduce/eliminate the null.

i don’t know.

i welcome any insight.

also, I moved the sitting position  up to 38% and it sounded really good (no sub) and even better at 50%. I don’t have WAF issues but it’s not super workable unless I move the damn couch to those positions when I’m alone (which is not often).