midrange dac / dac with best performance to cost ratio

im not looking to spend more than $3k.

I'm looking at getting either a gugnir multibit or a yggridsdal. I am open to other types of dacs. However I don't know anything about them. Could someone please explain the difference between the two schiit dac's I mentioned? Do they use completely different technology compared to each other? I've been told that the gugnir is 'warmer' then the yggridsdal. Also for around the same price a Yggrisdal would cost me, I could get a Bryston dac-3. I'm wondering if that dac is any good either? It's also very local to me, and it comes with the awesome bryston 20 year warantee.  in case i wasn't clear I am canadian so importing anything schiit is going to cost me quite a bit more then getting something local like that bryston dac. anyway, im open to any and all suggestions, thank you in advance for any help.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xd2girls

Showing 3 responses by cmc2234

I think the Yggdrasil is an awesome DAC! Had mine for nearly a year and will probably keep it indefinitely! With a fully modular design, upgrading the components ensures this DAC will be cutting edge at all times.

So what that Schiit dacs don't do DSD? It's a minuscule percentage of  the market anyway. And MQA? Shciit claims the Yggy plays it just fine.
I recommend guys like Psickerson to read the FAQ section of the web site.

As far as the Bifrost goes... it's very low budget. Don't ever assume the Yggy isn't a world class DAC by what the bifrost does or doesn't do for you!
@ricevs. Don't care much about the bells and whistles that the Mytek Manhattan (or any other DAC) offers. 

I'll take the 21-bit perfect technology along with their proprietary closed-form filter that Yggy offers.

Bottom line... MQA, DSD capability in a DAC is still basically irrelevant since recordings with  guaranteed direct-from-DSD or MQA are a super tiny part of the market. And if that ever changes, the Yggdrasil is fully up-gradable! 
Oh I’m sorry RICEVS... The point of the posters discussion was for DACs under $3k. Maybe you missed that part?

The price of the Manhattan II makes it’s ability irrelevant in this post, especially being that it’s nearly TRIPLE the cost of the Yggdrasil.

Under $3k... Yggy is King! Nuff Said!