merlin vsm owners , what is your room size ?

Hi, Merlin vsm lovers

I use my merlin VSM in a room size of 12W*23L*9H -Feet
I wish my room was smaller to enjoy my merlins.

How big are your rooms ?
masilu

Showing 5 responses by reynolds853

Masilu,

What attribute of music reproduction is missing that is preventing you from enjoying your speakers? If it is the bass then perhaps a subwoofer might be beneficial. I do not own Merlin speakers but my listening room is similar in size to yours, if not perhaps a little larger. While I enjoy my system no matter where I am seated there is a listening position relatively close to my speakers that is the most special, where the system really shines. Perhaps you will be able to find such a location in your listening room.

Bobby P. will likely be able to provide you with some helpful suggestions on getting the most from your speakers, whether it is via this thread or if you contact him directly.
Masilu,

I used to use small speakers in my listening room but in order to build up a satisfying sound pressure level I would have to play the system louder than what I might prefer for a given listening session. By adding a sub I could develop a pleasing sound pressure level while keeping the overall volume lower. I described it as the system having a fullness of sound at lower volume. If this is the issue you are trying to rectify then I'd suggest a sub. On the other hand if it is overall loudness in the mid and higher frequencies that is the issue then I would consider more power.
Masilu,

I am certainly no expert in the functioning of the BAM module but from what I was reading on Bobby's website I don't know why it would pose any particular challenges for integrating a sub into your system, and it may make it easier for all I know.

Here's how I used to integrate a Canton Ergo sub (now called the Sub 650 in the Canton line) into my system, and it's all done by ear. There are three knobs you'll fiddle with: (1) phase, (2) crossover point, and (3) volume.

1. Play some music that has some bass in it and adjust the phase until it provides the strongest bass.

2. Adjust the crossover point until you like where the sub kicks in. If the crossover point is too high, for example around 50Hz was too high for me, then the sub will kick in at too high a frequency, at least for my liking.

3. Once you start to home in on the crossover frequency that you like then increase or decrease the volume according to your tastes.

The Ergo sub had 45Hz as its lowest crossover point I believe, which was enough for me. I auditioned a smaller sub that had a 50Hz minimum crossover point but that was too high. The 45Hz minimum crossover point was always adequate for my needs though.

By adjusting the sub crossover point and the volume I was able to get the sub to provide a fullness of sound at lower volume but without calling undue attention to itself. I also liked the Canton sub because it was fast, certainly faster than the sub on our home theater system.

I don't know why the BAM module would alter that procedure, but if it did I'm sure Bobby P. would let us know and I would certainly heed his advice.
Masilu,

Your idea about using the second out loop on your CD player would seem to be on the right track as your goal is to connect the sub in such a way that it operates independently from the BAM. Other options are to drive the sub either from your preamp, say a "record" loop, or a pre-out tap if you are using an integrated amp that provides that function.