Mcintosh sound

Been looking at Macintosh intergrated amps (MC6300, MC6500) but haven't been able to audition due to lack of supply locally so I need help. How would you characterize the Mac sound? Is it netural? robust with a bottom strength (like Krell or Sim), how's the the mid range; forward, mid theatre or more distant? Top end is it smooth and sparkling?
Over all how does it throw the sound stage? These are important questions that I could use help with, as I listen to soft rock, jazz blues & new age. Please see my system for current rig. Thanks for the help
rsjm80

Showing 2 responses by swanny76109

I always wanted some Mc stuff, but have never taken the plunge until recently. I picked up a MAC 4100 receiver the other day locally on Craigslist, for 500 bucks. They go on ebay and here for 800-900, so a pretty good deal. The tuner needs some alignment and adjusting, but the unit is really clean and sounds great, no switching noise or hums. This is like a 4th system for me--I sure didn't need it! I am using it as a garage system for now, and am using old crappy speakers, and it sounds great, much more powerful than a typical receiver. The build quality is unreal. Sure, its not the most refined sound, but it's a lot of fun to play around with. A warm, solid, and authoritative sound is an accurate description (previous post above) for sure. Probably not the most transparent you've experienced. Good stuff, try it out and the resale is rock solid. Foreign collectors really seem to love McIntosh stuff. Have fun!
IMHO, I would say McIntosh does not have a lot of PRAT (now that I read your post above) so their products may not meet your sonic goals.