McIntosh MC275 vs Bat VK-60: Anyone compared?

Hello,

Within the next couple of months, I will have a new pair of speakers coming in, the AV123 LS6 line arrays, designed by Danny Richie. The designed recommends 50+ tube watts for these speakers in a medium sized room.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=97.1

I am in the market for a tube amp to pair up with these speakers. I've got a Supratek Syrah pre that I'll be using.

Back to the topic - I am considering both the McIntoch MC275 and the Bat VK-60. Has anyone made any controlled comparisons with these two in the same system? Any relative strengths and weaknesses stand out?

Thanks
goatwuss

Showing 2 responses by aball

I have a MC240 that was used for about 30 years on a routine basis. It never even went to the Mc Clinics and still was running without a hitch. Then it sat for 10 years before I got it. I powered it up with a variac and used it for 3 months without ever doing anything to it! Then I gave it a full rebuild but only because it is now 40 years old! I'd say you could expect the same of a MC275 - and it sounds fantastic IMO. The 275 runs warm but not hot (better for durability). As Jaybo says, it is a legend and there are very good reasons why that's the case.

I had a BAT VK-3i that I liked quite a bit sound-wise but it had issues too. The volume control would send a clicking sound through the speakers when rotating it. Faint but there. Also, there was crosstalk if the unused RCA inputs weren't shorted. I contacted BAT about it but was basically told these things were normal!? I sold it soon thereafter. My McIntosh C42 replaced it, which has been a blessing in all aspects - no wierd noises, zero crosstalk, and the best sound I have had from a preamp (and I've had many).

Arthur
Rgurney's comparison is very interesting but one important detail was left out: price. The 150SE cost $17,000 and the 275 monos cost $7,800. I would certainly hope the BATs are better for that much more money!

Arthur