McIntosh MA6500 Integrated amp

Hello all,

Thank goodness the list is back, thank you Audiogon!

I am looking for people who have had a chance to audition or owns the McIntosh MA6500 integrated amp.

I have read a few user reviews on this amp lately that have given it high praise. I was in a shop today and was able to try it. It was hooked to Kef Model Two speakers and the source was a $500 Marantz Carousel. I too was very impressed with this amp.

If anyone else has had any experience with this please share.

Thank you.
brianmgrarcom
I sold my MA6450 (also a fine unit) and upgraded to the MA6500. Holy Smokes! What a great amp. I love the power, build, sonic qualities, and seductive looks.

I have had some very well regarded separates and integrateds, but this wipes out everything I have ever owned. Expensive and worth every penny!

Best Regards and Happy Listening
hififile
If you do a search in the Audiogon forum section for "mcintosh" you will find a thread that appeared a few months ago that asks: "has anyone compared the two mcintosh integrateds". In that thread there is personal responses about both of them.

I have made some comments in that thread from when I demo'd both of them side by side at my dealer. Read the longer version there but I think both are fantastic and believe one could legitimately be preferred over another depending on what speakers and room acoustics one has.

I own the 6900 and beleive I will have it for a long time. Good Luck,
I have a MA6800 which I absolutely love and I just purchased a MA6500 for my other system. The MA6500 is paired with my MAC speakers and it is nothing short of awesome. Performance wise I can hear very little difference, maybe the MA6800 is a little softer but very little difference. I like the fact that the MA6500 without the autotransformers is only about half the weight. These MAC amps in my estimation are the best value for the dollar in the market. You won`t go wrong no matter which model you purchase.
I have owned a McIntosh MA6500 for two years with flawless operation. I use it in conjunction with a pair of McIntosh LS320 bookshelf speakers and a McIntosh PS112 powered subwoofer. The sound and reliability of an all McIntosh system is most satisfying. The engineers at McIntosh will tell you that the MA6500 and MA6900 sound the same, which they do. Since my speakers are 4 ohm, the MC6500 provides me with the full rated 200 watts, cost much less than the MC6900, weighs much less than the MC6900 and can operate two pairs of speakers independently which the MC6900 can't. The MA6500 is truly an audio bargin.